Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

Register to remove these ads.

KJ General Discussion

yellow sludge in oil fill cap

This is a discussion on yellow sludge in oil fill cap within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! i just did my second oil change in my 06 KJ(6,300 miles on ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
b2

Default yellow sludge in oil fill cap

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
i just did my second oil change in my 06 KJ(6,300 miles on it). when i opened my oil fill cap i saw some yellow sludge in the tube, and some yellow/orange bubbles on the bottom of the cap. the rest of the oil that came out of the oil pan was fine(no colors/sludge). both changes that i have done have been with Mobil 1 full synthetic. anyone had any similar experiences. im hoping that those bubbles dont mean that i have coolant in my oil. thanks for your help,
Old 01-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

not sure if it's the case in this instance, but it could be condensation. i've seen it before on others vehicles (maybe even our old '02 kj) we've owned. either way, i was always told not to worry about it.
dnm45227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Kombat Edition Jeep

Condensation. Don't worry about it...

I've been told that it comes from taking lots of short trips. Well that was my case...

KJ Country's Resident Jeep Employee!
Marlon_JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Eddo

Condensation mixed with oil. You will see it if you live in a humid climate and take lots of short trips. Had it happen to me. Seen it on other cars.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Condensation, however I would be slightly worried. Condensation that forms in the oil needs to be burned off, and this happens by the engine getting up to temperature, and the engine oil getting good and hot. If not, over time, the condensation will start to form sludge inside your engine...and that's not good. However, running Synthetic helps to cut back on the ammount of sludge that forms.

Short trips, where the engine either does not, or just barely gets completely warmed up are what causes this. Thats why I usually make it a point to drive around the block if I know i'm making a real short trip. I'd rather spend the extra in gas now then later on down the line have issues with that crap inside my engine.

JeepKJ Country Member #003
-2003 Khaki KJ Sport V-6
-NP 231 Command-Trac
-42RLE Automatic (perhaps the first KJ with the 42RLE)
-235/70/R16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO's

Please help support the site! With out your support, we wouldn't be here!!! To contribute CLICK HERE!!!

They arrested me for being drunk in pubLIC.....I didn't wanna be drunk in pubLIC....I wanted to be drunk in a bar!!!! They threw me in pubLIC....arrest them!!!

2003KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's condensation, don't worry about it.
cowdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Administrator

Originally Posted by 2003KJ
Short trips, where the engine either does not, or just barely gets completely warmed up are what causes this. Thats why I usually make it a point to drive around the block if I know i'm making a real short trip. I'd rather spend the extra in gas now then later on down the line have issues with that crap inside my engine.
That's funny as I do the same thing or combine a couple of errands into one longer trip. I change my own oil and have never noticed any condensation.

Ever notice if you change your own oil that when you take the oil filler cap off there is a removable splash guard in the filler neck. I check that too and it's always clean.

Dave

Need More Stuff..

Become a Supporting Member
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/payments.php
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rxraptor02

I noticed the sludge buildup on my oild cap/pulg thing last night when I went through the local quick stop oil change place.

I know it is Condensation however I do not make any short trips. I only have 12,200 miles on my Liberty.

The humidity is not that high right now, so is there any other explination as to why this is happening?
Old 01-28-2007, 12:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Administrator

Originally Posted by rxraptor02
I noticed the sludge buildup on my oild cap/pulg thing last night when I went through the local quick stop oil change place.

I know it is Condensation however I do not make any short trips. I only have 12,200 miles on my Liberty.

The humidity is not that high right now, so is there any other explination as to why this is happening?
I wonder what kind of oil they use??? I have been using Mobil 1 and havn't had that problem. Could it be the brand or type (synthetic - verses dino) of oil that makes a difference????

I don't know, just thinking out loud here.

Dave

Need More Stuff..

Become a Supporting Member
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/payments.php
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Kombat Edition Jeep

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Originally Posted by Dave
Originally Posted by rxraptor02

I wonder what kind of oil they use??? I have been using Mobil 1 and havn't had that problem. Could it be the brand or type (synthetic - verses dino) of oil that makes a difference????

I don't know, just thinking out loud here.

Dave
I've heard that synthetic or dino... doesn't matter, the issue still occurs.

KJ Country's Resident Jeep Employee!
Marlon_JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote