why can't i close my steering rack bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello guys

today my steering became really ponderous. not safe to drive- after an offroad trip

I dove under the libby and a buddy of mine moved the steering wheel to the left and right - took me one second to see the steering rack is loose.real loose!!

the fault lies in the 2 bolts that hold it and go through the steering rack bushes. so i ordered a bush set from amazon - and in the meantime tried to tighten the 24 mm bolts that hold the bushes - but they just spin! no resistance at all - you can not torque them down till they reach an end point.

any ideas why?

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 2 nuts under the cross member that the rack bolts on to. Make sure to hold then with a wrench so they don't just spin.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 2 nuts under the cross member that the rack bolts on to. Make sure to hold then with a wrench so they don't just spin.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

^^^This. There are nuts along with the bolts. The bolts do not thread into the crossmember.