Whistle/whining noise while accelerating in 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi I was driving the other day in my Jeep and I put it into 4wd due to snow and ice on the backroads were I live and noticed a whistle or whine when I accelerated but stopped after I took my foot off the accelerator. Does anybody have any idea as to what this might be caused by?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the ends of the front driveshaft for cracked or torn boots? How's the tcase and diff fluid? Serviced lately?

Kaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The boots were replaced before I got it and as far as the diffs and tcase fluid goes I have no idea. Will defiantly be doing it this spring though. Could just be the below zero weather we’ve been having because after I drive it for awile the noise goes away. No reason to tear into it know I guess unless it gets worse.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can hear a difference in the driveline noise when accelerating or maintaining throttle when in 4wd. Just thought it was normal...

Kaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it is I don’t really know. This is the first winter for me with my kJ. It has never made any noises when it was warmer outside which is why I made a post about it. All the other threads I’ve read online said it could be anything from the oil in the tcase being so cold to the diffs, ******, and tcase being junk. Like I said ill just wait and see what happens if anything.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Check the front driveshaft for slop. Should be able to rotate it a little but not a lot. I'm guessing the tcase end CV is shot. Mine made all sorts of noises - went from a quiet hum in 4wd that I thought was normal and lived with it for years then to sounding like I was dragging chains.

Mine feels/acts differently in 4WD too. Obviously the traction, but it sounds different...not louder or weird, there's just a different sound to it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Are you sure it's only when you're in 4WD? I had a belt tensioner that whistled when it was single digits out.