Whirring sound from frontend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw some other threads about similar sounds and just starting a new thread in case nobody responds to those older threads.

02, 150,000 miles
Whirring sound from frontend, much more so from the drivers side than passenger and louder inside the car than outside that I can tell. I seem to feel the vibration a bit in the gas pedal or floorboard, very lightly, kind of like a grinding. Sound seems to start around 35, goes away at speed, 50 or so. What I feel in my foot also goes away at highway speeds. Seems some roads this is more prevalent than others but could be speed on those roads is related.

I am running a rather aggressive tire, not super such though, and I've had those tires on there for several years with no whirring noise (I do need to rotate though).

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possible wear on the tires. Could try rotating them. Also, check the brakes and hub. More than likely, as a guess I'd say the hub bearing is probably going bad.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check CVS, balljoins and tie tod ends as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tires, CVs or wheel bearings seem most likely but I'd probably also check the two ends of the front driveshaft (assuming yours is a 4wd). Does it do it more or less in 4wd if applicable? I have what I believe is pinion noise and it's a pretty noticeable whir. I get it at around the same speed range you mentioned but it seems to almost disappear when coasting or under heavy acceleration. Most noticeable under very light throttle BUT I really don't feel it in the go pedal.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tires are you running?
I have Hankook DynaPro ATMs, and they create a loud whining noise between 35-50 mph, just as you said. Apparently that's very common with those tires once you get 20-30k miles on them. Your tires might be similar.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires, CVs or wheel bearings seem most likely but I'd probably also check the two ends of the front driveshaft (assuming yours is a 4wd). Does it do it more or less in 4wd if applicable? I have what I believe is pinion noise and it's a pretty noticeable whir. I get it at around the same speed range you mentioned but it seems to almost disappear when coasting or under heavy acceleration. Most noticeable under very light throttle BUT I really don't feel it in the go pedal.

I've coasted in neutral with no change in the sound. (4x4), I've not been in 4x4 for awhile. Been avoiding it because the dang switch in the ******/xfer case gets stuck and the dash light shows me in 4WD long after I've switched back. Eventually it unsticks and the light goes off.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tires are you running?
I have Hankook DynaPro ATMs, and they create a loud whining noise between 35-50 mph, just as you said. Apparently that's very common with those tires once you get 20-30k miles on them. Your tires might be similar.

Why yes I do. I'll see if the guy who mounted them put the mileage on the work order but 20k or so sounds about right. the noise those, at least to me, seems far louder inside than outside when I roll down my window.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possible wear on the tires. Could try rotating them. Also, check the brakes and hub. More than likely, as a guess I'd say the hub bearing is probably going bad.

I need to rotate but the weekend weather has been to rainy to do it or to nice to screw around under a car. :blah:

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've coasted in neutral with no change in the sound. (4x4), I've not been in 4x4 for awhile. Been avoiding it because the dang switch in the ******/xfer case gets stuck and the dash light shows me in 4WD long after I've switched back. Eventually it unsticks and the light goes off.

That switch is super easy to change from underneath the Jeep. It took me about 10 minutes to swap the old one out for the new one.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That switch is super easy to change from underneath the Jeep. It took me about 10 minutes to swap the old one out for the new one.

So I've read but I've been putting off rotating tires so the odds of jacking it up and crawling under it are pretty low ;)

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why yes I do. I'll see if the guy who mounted them put the mileage on the work order but 20k or so sounds about right. the noise those, at least to me, seems far louder inside than outside when I roll down my window.

Same here, it's extremely loud inside, and when I roll down the window it almost completely disappears.

Mine started making that noise a week or so after I installed all new wheel hubs/bearings. For a while I thought the hubs were bad, until I started reading reviews for the tires online and found that lots of people are having the exact same issue with them.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so I went to rotate and I am PO'd. Shop that did my alignment also did a rotation and cross threaded a lug nut. I broke it right off trying to rotate.

Anyway after rotating, lug nut still broken, there is a clear change in the sound. I still think I am getting to much noise from the frontend but I no longer have to turn the radio up when driving 45mph.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, the sound, while fainter or maybe just fainter because it is not combined with the tire noise, is still there. Can clearly feel a grinding in steering wheel when holding it in the center vs 10 & 2. If it was a 2 wheel drive vehicle I would say wheel bearings.

Goes on the lift on Tuesday for all the fluids being changed and I should be able to get a good look under.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so I went to rotate and I am PO'd. Shop that did my alignment also did a rotation and cross threaded a lug nut. I broke it right off trying to rotate.

Anyway after rotating, lug nut still broken, there is a clear change in the sound. I still think I am getting to much noise from the frontend but I no longer have to turn the radio up when driving 45mph.

Not always attributable to cross threading. Quite often one of the bastards will just seize up the threads for no obvious reason.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not always attributable to cross threading. Quite often one of the bastards will just seize up the threads for no obvious reason.

So true. I've snapped many off over the years especially when I lived further north and even with frequent tire rotations. An I put them on with appropriate torque so I know they weren't cross threaded. usually on GMs...

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read a review of the intermediate shaft on Amazon between the diff and cv shaft on the right hand side were they had a grinding noise.
I think I have the same problem with a lot of play betwern the inner cv joint and intermediate shaft.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All the intermediate shafts are made by the same company. If you have play replace both the intermediate shaft and CV. It could also be the bearing in there but I haven't heard of too many cases of those being bad.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So true. I've snapped many off over the years especially when I lived further north and even with frequent tire rotations. An I put them on with appropriate torque so I know they weren't cross threaded. usually on GMs...

Enough thread showing from what snapped off in the bolt to show it's not even.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read a review of the intermediate shaft on Amazon between the diff and cv shaft on the right hand side were they had a grinding noise.
I think I have the same problem with a lot of play betwern the inner cv joint and intermediate shaft.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Was on the lift today for all the fluids to be changed out and mechanic really feels all the noise and even the feel in the steering column is from the tires. Everything looked good underneath and nothing appeared cracked, loose or worn. No movement at all in the tires when trying to shake them around nor could I hear anything when hand turning them.

Time will tell I guess. Was able to see that the small oil leak was not from the oil filter area as I had suspected from prior techs not putting it on right, leak is from valve cover near front. Not enough to worry about and what does drip doesn't hit anything hot or moving.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online