what size rims do i have

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

musky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if my tires are 16 inch does that mean my rims are 16 s or could they be 15s ?

i have 245/75/R16 on the truck.would this tire fit on a 15 inch rim.

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the last number of your tire size is 16, then yes, 16" wheels.

Example: My KJ has 245-70R-16 tires.. 245mm wide, sidewall is 70% of that width in height, and the tires are made such to fit 16" wheels. Pretty standard.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
245-75-16s will not fit on a 15 inch wheel PLUS they won't fit on the KJ either even on 16 inch wheels unless you have a lift

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah....

I mean... everyone has to start somewhere... but you should really be able to figure this one out before you start doing anything more to your vehicle than putting gas in it.

I'm unclear why anyone would be mistaken in thinking that a 16" tire will somehow fit a 15" wheel. Why would they then call it a 16" tire? Does a size 10 shoe fit a size 12 foot?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah....

I mean... everyone has to start somewhere... but you should really be able to figure this one out before you start doing anything more to your vehicle than putting gas in it.

I'm unclear why anyone would be mistaken in thinking that a 16" tire will somehow fit a 15" wheel. Why would they then call it a 16" tire? Does a size 10 shoe fit a size 12 foot?

After managing tire shops for several years....
well this question is at least a good question,
ya know compared to some I have answered

K9JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheels and tires can be tricky for some, especially when you start talking about offsets, or for this vehicle backspacing. I had to learn what that means as with all my cars it's the offset we are referring too and not back spacing. I won't flame him for asking, that's what the forums are for. Yes he could have searched but he was looking for help.

For OP, I had the same size tires you have and just upgraded to 235/70/16 and yes you cannot go any wider or higher without a lift. You will have to sacrifice either height or width.

225 is referring to the width of the tire, 75 is referring to the height of the tire and the last or 16 is referring to the wheel or "rim" size. It's actually called a wheel not rim.

The KJ came with 2 stock tire sizes, 225/75/16 or 235/70/16 from what I know. One wider and one taller. Like I said you can't go any higher than 235/70 without a lift or you'll run into rubbing issues.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wheels and tires can be tricky for some, especially when you start talking about offsets, or for this vehicle backspacing. I had to learn what that means as with all my cars it's the offset we are referring too and not back spacing. I won't flame him for asking, that's what the forums are for. Yes he could have searched but he was looking for help.

For OP, I had the same size tires you have and just upgraded to 235/70/16 and yes you cannot go any wider or higher without a lift. You will have to sacrifice either height or width.

225 is referring to the width of the tire, 75 is referring to the height of the tire and the last or 16 is referring to the wheel or "rim" size. It's actually called a wheel not rim.

The KJ came with 2 stock tire sizes, 225/75/16 or 235/70/16
from what I know. One wider and one taller. Like I said you can't go any higher than 235/70 without a lift or you'll run into rubbing issues.

Also came with 215-75-16s

and to the OP, ask away, never a dumb question, only dumb answers

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The 04 was 235-70-16s
03 was 215-75-16s
and the 05
has those stupid 17 inchers

K9JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also came with 215-75-16s

and to the OP, ask away, never a dumb question, only dumb answers
There you go, I didn't know that. What's the point of that skinny size?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
There you go, I didn't know that. What's the point of that skinny size?

Couldn't find anything else, smaller, cheaper that would hold it up:happy175::happy175::happy175:
Still have the stock original spare , was always covered with a tire cover its whole life. The other 4 had been replaced once

K9JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find anything else, smaller, cheaper that would hold it up:happy175::happy175::happy175:
Still have the stock original spare , was always covered with a tire cover its whole life. The other 4 had been replaced once
Lol.

I spent the extra and replaced the spare on Friday with the other 4. I don't have a cover so I like the way the tire looks on the back. 215 still seems very skinny for this top heavy truck.

The extra tad bit of width I got from the 235's is noticeable and turning response seems greater, could be the fresh alignment as well

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never said the question was dumb... just a very simple one.

At least the OP asked before doing something that would have been very embarrassing in a tire shop.

Latest posts

Members online