What is the possible source of this leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Clean the area up, with engine de-greaser & some rags should work ok.
Then place some cardboard below to try to determine which fluid it is firstly.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your really determined/worried open up the inspection plate on the trans its what gives access to the fly wheel and torque converter.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I didn't realize there was an inspection plate on the 42rle. Where would that be?

The leak is minor right now. There are no drops or anything just a wet spot. However, I'd like to check out on it and the inspection plate sounds like a really good option.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to make sure I got this right. The lower half of the bell housing is removable and acts as inspection plate?

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could use a white paper towel give it a wipe - help narrow down the fluid type

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isnt it structural though? And you must do something specific when reinstalling it? Seems I remember reading about it in the FSM

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isnt it structural though? And you must do something specific when reinstalling it? Seems I remember reading about it in the FSM

It is definitely structural but I seem to remember just following the torque specs in the FSM when I put mine back on. Don't remember anything unusual.