Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

KJ General Discussion

What did you do to your jeep today?

This is a discussion on What did you do to your jeep today? within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Originally Posted by Kim'sJeep Installed my LED bar light. The wiring was the hardest thing. Well, running it inside the ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #17771 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Kim'sJeep View Post
Installed my LED bar light. The wiring was the hardest thing. Well, running it inside the car was. A coat hanger and tape helped me get it through.

I still need to figure out where I want to permanently install the switch, but for now this works. I also need to tie it into the ignition. Right now I just left one of the jumper wires off to keep the light on the switch from running the whole time.

Just the normal headlights and driving lights.

With light bar on. I need to angle it down a bit, but it is pretty darn bright.

Looking good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Aztimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #17772 (permalink)

Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
And here I am trying to buy more. After buying a new one in 2004, I have owned 5 , 2 I sold and 3 I still have 2 lifted etc 1 in the wings
Will not stop owning / driving mine until there is no more to buy.

So what don't you like ?
the latest and worst issue would have to be the heads, when all is said and done i will have about 2,000 into the new heads and all the other parts and tools to replace them (cam tool set from OTC was $300). Until now i would have said it was a good vehicle. But needing serious motor work or a new engine at 155k is a bit ridiculous IMO, driveline noise and vibration that is seemingly never solved is irritating, the ABS/ESP systems are absolutely worthless, gas mileage has always been what you would expect from a dodge/chrysler product.

i have always used the best fluids and filters when i maintain the jeep, oil gets changed every 5k with Mobil 1 ep, a napa platinum filter, and BG MOA. All of the hard work and effort put into it seems to be for nothing, i'm still replacing heads at 155k just like everyone else, and truthfully even before this i didn't feel comfortable taking this thing for more than a 2-3 hour long drive.

before this happened i had planned to keep it till 200k or more, now I would rather have a car payment and peace of mind so i can focus my time on more important things like projects around the house. not saying i am necessarily done with jeeps but they make a better toy or project than they do a daily driver.

I'll feel better about it all after i get the heads done and can drive it again though.

soon to be added: pioneer AVH-4201NEX, back up camera, mbrp muffler and tailpipe.
cplchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:16 PM   #17773 (permalink)

Originally Posted by sota View Post
replaced the windshield washer pump. literally took longer to decide how to do it, than to do it.
What were your symptoms that lead to the replacement?
GitEmSteveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #17774 (permalink)

More pillaging of the parts KJ....

- pushed it into the shop
- installed the old 241J and driveshaft so it can move under its own power again
- pulled the CVs and 3.73 front diff
- re-assembled the suspension with 4x conduits nuts on each side

Hers: 2005 Liberty V6/6spd/NV242J/3.73/posi... 3" lift (Teraflex + KK forks + " cradle drop), RRO arms, 245/75R16s, 257,000km
Mine: 1993 W250 ClubCab Cummins/5spd/HX35/3" lift/35" tires/Lockright/extra smoke/more noise/372,000km
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #17775 (permalink)

Originally Posted by cplchris View Post
the latest and worst issue would have to be the heads, when all is said and done i will have about 2,000 into the new heads and all the other parts and tools to replace them (cam tool set from OTC was $300). Until now i would have said it was a good vehicle. But needing serious motor work or a new engine at 155k is a bit ridiculous IMO, driveline noise and vibration that is seemingly never solved is irritating, the ABS/ESP systems are absolutely worthless, gas mileage has always been what you would expect from a dodge/chrysler product.
I'm a little puzzled on the engine too. Over 250k (km) on ours - still running strong. The parts wagon is just over 170k (km), has been overheated, (head gasket leaking) and could very well go down the same path as yours if/when I tear into it. I have a feeling the auto trans dumps a lot of heat into the cooling system, and tends not to work the engine in a high enough rpm range to deal with it.

Also somehow managed to end up with KJs that do not have ABS or ESP.

I can normally find the worst noises and vibrations and address them. The rest are drowned out by a decent stereo and exhaust.

Hers: 2005 Liberty V6/6spd/NV242J/3.73/posi... 3" lift (Teraflex + KK forks + " cradle drop), RRO arms, 245/75R16s, 257,000km
Mine: 1993 W250 ClubCab Cummins/5spd/HX35/3" lift/35" tires/Lockright/extra smoke/more noise/372,000km
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #17776 (permalink)

Originally Posted by GitEmSteveDave View Post
What were your symptoms that lead to the replacement?
it leaking almost the whole tank onto the ground over about a week's time frame.
  • OME 790/948/90009/N32
  • Western Suburbanite 7'4" plow
  • DetoursUSA Backbone
  • HF 12k# winch
WTB: project liberty near N.NJ. stick shift, 4x4, working motor optional, CHEAP
sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:39 PM   #17777 (permalink)

Originally Posted by cplchris View Post

i have always used the best fluids and filters when i maintain the jeep, oil gets changed every 5k with Mobil 1 ep, a napa platinum filter, and BG MOA. All of the hard work and effort put into it seems to be for nothing, i'm still replacing heads at 155k just like everyone else, and truthfully even before this i didn't feel comfortable taking this thing for more than a 2-3 hour long drive.

before this happened i had planned to keep it till 200k or more, now I would rather have a car payment and peace of mind so i can focus my time on more important things like projects around the house. not saying i am necessarily done with jeeps but they make a better toy or project than they do a daily driver.

I'll feel better about it all after i get the heads done and can drive it again though.
Sorry for the issues you are having but .........
I'll be driving my 03 about 15-16 hours over Thanksgiving, and not a worry at all.
Friends have GMCs Chevys, Fords, Nissans, etc etc etc and all complain the same
04 Kilimanjaro Edition
4.5 INCH JBA LIFT/ 32s/4.10s/ etc
03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds bumper
05 Limited/stock for now
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:33 PM   #17778 (permalink)

Today I swapped my roof rack bars out. Bought a set from Amazon and then of course about 2 weeks later, found a set that I liked better, at PnP. LOL

Before,

After,

The old ones were ok, they did whistle, but not a deal breaker. I just liked the lower profile of the new ones. I think they will also do better when putting weight on them as they are actually right on the bars of the jeep, instead of clamped to them like the old ones.

I don't know if these whistle or not. Will find out tomorrow if I go shopping.
Kim'sJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #17779 (permalink)

Originally Posted by sota View Post
it leaking almost the whole tank onto the ground over about a week's time frame.
Oh. I was wondering if you were having performance issues with the spray.
GitEmSteveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #17780 (permalink)

Originally Posted by GitEmSteveDave View Post
Oh. I was wondering if you were having performance issues with the spray.
That's s little personal don't you think.
duderz7 is offline   Reply With Quote