Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

Register to remove these ads.

KJ General Discussion

What did you do to your jeep today?

This is a discussion on What did you do to your jeep today? within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! Originally Posted by sota https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Acces...er/RM-061.html work great to quiet down draw bars. aids ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

Like Tree17188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2017, 04:55 AM   #15251 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Originally Posted by sota View Post
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Acces...er/RM-061.html

work great to quiet down draw bars. aids in towing as the trailer won't "wibble" around behind you, or sound like it just fell off and hit an IED. I especially like how it keeps the bike rack from swaying.
I woulda never thought to even look for something like that, so thanks. I found this, which appears to also work very well and is a bit less expensive: StowAway Hitch Tightener, Anti-Rattle Stabilizer for 2 Inch and 1.25 Inch Hitches on Amazon
Old 10-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #15252 (permalink)

my only concern with that design, is it doesn't provide possible fore-aft movement of the bracket. aka, it could slide forward and off the receiver. the one I listed is designed to clamp the draw bar and receiver diagonally, so that slipping is less likely to happen. I install mine nuts down also, since there's little to no room to put it in nuts up, with my short receiver. take a look at the install pictures on etrailer's site to see what i'm talking about.

I wish Blue Ox still made the old one I had, that clamped diagonally and used a bracket that prevented slipping. That one NOTHING would make the draw bar move; not even the fully loaded car trailer. Sadly it suffered from rot due to poor metal treatment.
  • OME 790/948/90009/N32
  • Western Suburbanite 7'4" plow
  • DetoursUSA Backbone
  • HF 12k# winch
WTB: project liberty near N.NJ. stick shift, 4x4, working motor optional, CHEAP
sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #15253 (permalink)

The 4.10 swap was not the easiest, but again I was doing a bunch of upgrades in the process. I have a used set of 4.10 gears and a Trac loc limited slip with only 100,000 miles on it. ITS FOR SALE just make a offer. I also have new ring gear mounting bolts as well.
TwoBobsKJ and Aceofspades like this.
800 Watt Inverter with custom face plate, winter jk rims, Ziebart undercoating, Diehard Platinum, interior lights for back seat, back up camera and backup lights, DRL's, front facing work lights, Train horn, Heated mirrors, MB Quart OA800.4 amp, rear fog lights, Full skid plates, cb radio, OME medium duty lift, DIY extreme ported and polished throttle body.

Last edited by renegade 04; 10-13-2017 at 12:03 PM.
renegade 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:14 AM   #15254 (permalink)

Originally Posted by renegade 04 View Post
The 4.10 swap was not the easiest, but again I was doing a bunch of upgrades in the process. I have a used set of 4.10 gears and a Trac loc limited slip with only 100,000 miles on it. Its your just make a offer. I also have new ring gear mounting bolts as well.

This is exactly what I wanna do but never found the parts in my local pick yards yet. That along with skids plates and tow hooks
Would be a nice spring time project when the summer vehicles are out but having the LSD for winter sounds great.

Does the gearing throw off the speedometer or the larger tires ? I would keep the same tires i have now

Quoting another member :

Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Have you ever set up gears before? It can be done but you will need a 20ton(at least) press,some real good dial indicators,a good 1/2" torque wrench(needs to go to at least 350lbs-ft of torque),a very good 1/4" torque wrench,and the special 8.25 bearing adjuster tools.Of course you will need a manual for the specs and such for both axles.It will be time consuming if you have not done it before,expect at least 2-5 days since the front diff has to be completely removed(a big cost at a shop).

I do know how to set up gears,did my 4.10's(well the rear 8.25 gears and the front DTT) myself and have done other setups in axles from a D30 to a Rockwell 5ton axle and I will tell you I would rather go to a dentist and have a root canal done without any Novocain.There that much of a pain in the a$$ to do sometimes.It would probably be best to have a very experienced person do the setup in my opinion.

Oh and I paid to have my new axles setup,that's how much I hate doing them.
Seems like it's out of my ballpark for tools and patience required
JBA UCAs
JBA .25" top plates and .25" rings
245-70-16 Cooper AT3s

Last edited by Aceofspades; 10-13-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Aceofspades is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #15255 (permalink)

The speedo has not changed and is accurate. I have almost stock size tires so the tire size has not thrown off the speedo either.
800 Watt Inverter with custom face plate, winter jk rims, Ziebart undercoating, Diehard Platinum, interior lights for back seat, back up camera and backup lights, DRL's, front facing work lights, Train horn, Heated mirrors, MB Quart OA800.4 amp, rear fog lights, Full skid plates, cb radio, OME medium duty lift, DIY extreme ported and polished throttle body.
renegade 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #15256 (permalink)

Bought a 1998 XJ w/ 135k miles on it. This is going to be my daily driver. Going to slap a cheap 4.5" rough country lift and some 33s or 35s on it to get it out into the woods. Going to see if I can swap the disc brake brackets from my spare KJ axle.

Gave my gf the liberty to drive to work, keeping her Chevy Impala for when one of us breaks their daily. We got tired of people not wanting to go wheeling so now we can go ourselves (her in the liberty, me in the XJ)

Ever since I got rid of my bike I miss racing. I've raced cars and bikes but never off road racing so the XJ will be built to go fast.

Unfortunately for you guys I'm not going anywhere just because I bought a new to me jeep the liberty is not finished yet (are they ever?)
Tires: 32" (265/70/17) Cooper STT PROs on 17x7.5 (5.5" BS) OEM Wheels w/ 1.5" Spacers
Skids: OEM Engine
Lighting: 42" & 12" Auxbeam 5D LED Light Bars, DDM Tuning 5000k 55w HIDs, & Euro Turn Signals
Misc: DetourUSA Backbone, Smittybilt X20 10k lbs Winch, Ultranger 3/8" Synthetic Winch Rope Raptor Lined Interior
Myke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #15257 (permalink)

Gold Supporter/Admin

Nice XJ. I love mine, although mine is stock and staying that way. How's it run? I'd first replace most of the cooling system stuff (flush, WP, Tstat, radiator if it's leaking, fan clutch). Seems to be the weak point of an XJ.
djtimyd likes this.
96 XJ Country
It's better to have a winch and need it than to not have a winch and not need it
HoosierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:21 PM   #15258 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Aceofspades View Post
This is exactly what I wanna do but never found the parts in my local pick yards yet. That along with skids plates and tow hooks
Would be a nice spring time project when the summer vehicles are out but having the LSD for winter sounds great.

Does the gearing throw off the speedometer or the larger tires ? I would keep the same tires i have now

Quoting another member :

Seems like it's out of my ballpark for tools and patience required
I used to do gears etc , but if you don't do it daily almost like Troy stated it can be a bit of a PITA. Now if I do need some done, an expert does them. They mess up its their issue, not mine, not worth me doing it and I have most of the tools
04 Kilimanjaro Edition
4.5 INCH JBA LIFT/ 32s/4.10s/ etc
03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds bumper
05 Limited/stock for now
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #15259 (permalink)

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper View Post
Nice XJ. I love mine, although mine is stock and staying that way. How's it run? I'd first replace most of the cooling system stuff (flush, WP, Tstat, radiator if it's leaking, fan clutch). Seems to be the weak point of an XJ.
Runs good so far, was a 77 mile drive home from where I got it. Tomorrow I'm going to spend a few hours doing filters/fluids and oils/spark plugs etc. P/o said thermostat was just changed. Haven't noticed any leaks anywhere yet. Springs/shocks look original so they need to be replaced.
Tires: 32" (265/70/17) Cooper STT PROs on 17x7.5 (5.5" BS) OEM Wheels w/ 1.5" Spacers
Skids: OEM Engine
Lighting: 42" & 12" Auxbeam 5D LED Light Bars, DDM Tuning 5000k 55w HIDs, & Euro Turn Signals
Misc: DetourUSA Backbone, Smittybilt X20 10k lbs Winch, Ultranger 3/8" Synthetic Winch Rope Raptor Lined Interior
Myke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #15260 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Went to the junk yard and found a few goodies:
  • Auto Dimming rear-view mirror - I took that and the wiring harness all the way to the back lift gate. I don't know how much of it I'll need, but better to have more than not enough.
  • Illuminated lock, mirror and window switches (see my thread in Electrical section).
  • RB1 Radio with external DVD player (from '05 Voyager) - Took all the wiring for it but ran outta time and couldn't get the roof mounted screen. Hopefully it'll still be there next week and then I'll have the whole setup.
profdlp, ltd02 and turblediesel like this.

Last edited by djtimyd; 10-14-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: me no gud speller
djtimyd is offline   Reply With Quote