Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

KJ General Discussion

What did you do to your jeep today?

This is a discussion on What did you do to your jeep today? within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Originally Posted by tommudd ...do you do something with the photos you post, none look real, like you used filters ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

Like Tree18795Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2017, 02:51 AM   #13531 (permalink)

Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
...do you do something with the photos you post, none look real, like you used filters or something
Originally Posted by sota View Post
looks like HDR (High Dynamic Range)
I consider myself an artist. Photography is my medium and my "brushes" are a variety of tools, including lens filters (the only ones I use are a polarizer and a 6-stop neutral density, but neither all the time) and a few different software programs, including Photoshop. I am not a documentary photographer - one who takes pictures and does little or no editing so as to illustrate the sometimes harsh, sometimes dull realism of the scene. My mind doesn't work that way. I modify everything: my home, my KJ, my Segway, my computer, my own body.

Originally Posted by wheeee32 View Post
Love the photos Jim but I'm with Tom on his statement. I'm not a huge fan of HDR looking shots.
If you love my photos, then you do like "HDR looking shots." My camera, a Nikon D810, has one of the highest dynamic ranges of any DSLR. But I realize not everyone likes my kind of photography. I do B&W works too.

Originally Posted by LibertyTC View Post
IDK if Jim is shooting in a flavor mode but..I shoot manual white balanced, with an original image, then post process.
I took one of Jim's images color corrected, turned down saturation, and adjusted red green & blue levels.

This looks more natural IMHO.
I don't like the way that looks. That's why I didn't make that photo. It just didn't look that way to me when I first captured it. Yours is cold. It looked much warmer that day to me. You edited (without asking, I might add) a low resolution photo with serious flaws. Unfortunately, I sometimes post a photo before I let it sit for a while to see if I still like it later. I didn't. I wanted to also post them on facebook today, so I spent some time to re-edit. My original has been replaced by this:

I'm pretty sure you still won't like that one, but it's my artwork, not yours. Of course, you didn't know I was going to edit my own photo, but if you had sent me a PM first, I could have told you to hold off on your critique and example of the way you like photos until after I had finished. Then you wouldn't have that horrible streak on the tree and all the other flaws I found after the fact. I guess it's my fault for sharing a photo before it was ready for prime time.

Originally Posted by Tog View Post
True HDR shot in camera uses at least 3 exposures of varying difference either via shutter speed or aperture to expose all levels if light across the scene then combines them all to produce an image that shows all aspects from that you can vary the image in terms of saturation etc to suit your taste.
Although there are some cameras that have HDR settings, a "true" HDR isn't shot by a camera, it is made by an artist. I have created a few HDR images with 2, 3 and 4 images. Once I composited 8 different photos because I wanted a night scene with lots of colored trailing lights from cars, but I live in a sleepy town with not much traffic, even on a Saturday night. My photo above, though, is not a true HDR. It's created from a single image.

Yes, most HDR photos consist of 2 or more photos of different exposure levels. That's so you can get good exposure in the deep shadows, the brightest highlights and the midtones. Some software blends them automatically and tones them for you. I like to do as much of the modifications as I can myself. HDR has gotten a lot of bad press - like it's some kind of hack method of developing pictures. I think it depends on who is doing the post processing.

I am not the greatest photographer. No one is. I like the work I do, but I also realize I have much to learn. Making and even posting my mistakes helps me learn and improve. Not all my work is award-winning stuff, but I have won a few and I have had some of my work published (Psychology Today, CPU Magazine and High Times liked my stuff). Except for a single semester at San Mateo City College in 1983-84, I am self-taught. Well, that's not entirely true... I belong to some photo forums, watch photo related videos and try to learn from people whose work I admire. It's a lot like being a better KJ owner/user by listening to some of you guys.

Originally Posted by ltd02 View Post
Good song...
Paul Simon's Kodachrome | YouTube

Yeah, I likes that.
Jim McClain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:26 AM   #13532 (permalink)

Tog

At the end of the day photography is objective to the person looking at the image just as any painter or drawer does the capture the scene as they see it. Personally I shoot on Canon cameras but one of my staffers is a Nikon shooter and Nikon are known for the high dynamic range they capture my staffers images have much the same flavours as Jim's soc( straight out of camera). I think the reason HDR gets a bad rap is because there was a flood of images with eye melting colors out there that like many others felt were overdone. The key to good images is getting it right in camera and tweaking it in post. I actually like the vibrancy of Jim's images probably because I edit very similar.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2017, 05:10 AM   #13533 (permalink)

Regarding the photography, I agree with you Jim. Im a photographer myself. I have many photos that are just happy snaps, you know, where I take the shot and that's it. Ill let the camera process it and be done with it. Typically shot with my phone or with my Pentax in jpeg mode.

Other times though, ill see a scene and want to produce something that I would be proud to print and hang on my walls. That's when I get out the Dslr. These are more artistic and edited as such. With these shots I don't necessarily go for realism, but rather an image that would look great as art, hanging on mine or someone else's wall.
Heres a link to my images for those interested: https://500px.com/curlednoodles

On topic, I just returned from a 3 night fishing and camping trip in the middle of nowhere. I left my Jeep with the boat trailer while we ventured up river in the boat and camped. Returned to find my Jeep with a flat battery. Lucky I had a spare battery in the boot (trunk)! Turns out the dash cam that I have plugged into the cigarette lighter draws current even when the vehicle is off. Lesson learned.
I also managed to destroy my phone (Samsung S6) by forgetting it was in my pocket and jumping out of the boat into salt water. 2nd lesson learned
ltd02 and Jim McClain like this.
Jeep KJ V6 Renegade 05, OME/Bilstein 2.5" Lift, ARB Front Air Lockers, ARB Bull Bar, ARB IPF HiD Lights 100W, Safari Snorkel, Grande Winch 12K, Maxxis 980 245/70/16 All Terrain, TX3400 GME UHF, Baintech Dual Battery System, JBA-A Arms, Mopar Skid Plates, Custom Roof Rack, Wanderer Side Awning.

Last edited by Damotee; 04-08-2017 at 05:14 AM.
Damotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #13534 (permalink)

Installed new rear discs and pads, along with the parking brake shoes.
I just broke in the discs and pads as per the manufacturer's procedure, but they don't mention anything about a brake in for the brake shoes themselves. The discs are black coated, I adjusted the e-brake tensioners as I would have normally but they are not biting... just wondering if that is because of the black coating (takes some break in time to grab right) or I just didn't adjust them enough.

Sure is satisfying doing them myself I have to say. Same job at the garage would have no doubt cost me 10x the amount. Now if only the hand brake would work... (never worked from day one when I bought it 2 years ago. Cables are fine, just a lot of rust which I cleaned and greased).

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7L V6
XXX SCRAP - 2 yrs and finished - Kumho Road Venture AT51 (235/70R16-104T)
Motormaster winter tires with studs... 10x better than the Kumho crap.
Adam Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #13535 (permalink)

find a little hill someplace where there's no traffic. roll backwards and pull the parking brake. repeat several (dozen) times until effective.
mine's at a point where it's sort of half way between adjustments it seems like; it'll grab one day and not the next, until you rock backwards then it'll tension up again.
Adam Roby likes this.
  • OME 790/948/90009/N32
  • Western Suburbanite 7'4" plow
  • DetoursUSA Backbone
  • HF 12k# winch
WTB: project liberty near N.NJ. stick shift, 4x4, working motor optional, CHEAP
sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #13536 (permalink)

anyone ever done a permanent rear mounted winch? kinda curious.
  • OME 790/948/90009/N32
  • Western Suburbanite 7'4" plow
  • DetoursUSA Backbone
  • HF 12k# winch
WTB: project liberty near N.NJ. stick shift, 4x4, working motor optional, CHEAP
sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #13537 (permalink)

find a little hill someplace where there's no traffic. roll backwards and pull the parking brake. repeat several (dozen) times until effective.
mine's at a point where it's sort of half way between adjustments it seems like; it'll grab one day and not the next, until you rock backwards then it'll tension up again.
Do they self adjust? I'll give it a try... never really played with them before, and got out of the habit of using them since I bought the Jeep because it didn't work. Now I bought a cabin and the driveway is on close to a 45 degree angle so that puts a lot of pressure on the parking pin and I'd like to have the hand brake to help with that.

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7L V6
XXX SCRAP - 2 yrs and finished - Kumho Road Venture AT51 (235/70R16-104T)
Motormaster winter tires with studs... 10x better than the Kumho crap.
Adam Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #13538 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to uss2defiant Send a message via MSN to uss2defiant Send a message via Skype™ to uss2defiant

"self adjust" indeed.
Adam Roby likes this.
~170k Miles
My KJ youtube playlist for ref. https://tinyurl.com/jeepkj

uss2defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #13539 (permalink)

Gold Supporter/Admin

x2

Once it starts working well, try to use it a few times a week. Mine now holds with 2-3 clicks on most things that aren't super steep. If you don't use it, you loose it.
Adam Roby likes this.
96 XJ Country
It's better to have a winch and need it than to not have a winch and not need it
HoosierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #13540 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to uss2defiant Send a message via MSN to uss2defiant Send a message via Skype™ to uss2defiant

i use my parking brake all the time. Even with this trick, it doesn't last one bit.
profdlp and Damotee like this.
~170k Miles
My KJ youtube playlist for ref. https://tinyurl.com/jeepkj

uss2defiant is offline   Reply With Quote