What chemical coolant flush to use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

navupmyself

Reaction score
Planning on changing out my coolant because it's fairly rusty, but not sure what coolant flush to use. Is the Prestone chemical flush an option, or maybe the PEAK chemical flush? Has anyone had any success with either of these? I know that I need the Zerex G-05 coolant already.

EDIT: Also, anyone know what parts of the coolant system could be rusting? Is the engine block aluminum? I know the water pump is plastic, maybe the radiator is rusting? Or the heater core?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Steel block, aluminum heads. Coolant should be changed every 5 years.
How many miles on your Jeep now?
Sounds like someone may have introduced tap water into system at a previous time, which is a complete no no.
I would also be concerned if I suspected rust in the system, but no I don't think I would want to use any caustic products.
The best solution is having the dealer do the flush for you.
They have the correct pressurized re-circulating machine, that removes all of the old coolant and installs the new Mopar Hoat, including everything that was inside the block.
I always do my flush by dealer & they can dial in mixture to set at my specified -49C.
The cost of a dealer flush is reasonable.
Is your heat still good & hot?,Have you ever replaced upper/lower hoses, thermostat waterpump etc?
Just to note that Mopar coolant color is a reddish brown...
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They’re probably similar, i believe most flushes are citric acid. You might not need it, a few flushes with water will get most of the stuff out. Its probably the iron engine block rusting, the radiator is aluminum. Once you flush it out and get the new coolant in it it should stop rusting. Coolant needs to be changed every 5 years.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont fix what isnt broken!

it looks rusty maybe because the Mopar Fluid is a Red color? Just change the coolant with the right stuff and save your time for something else. You dont need to flush unless you have a cooling or heater issue. Less is more!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont fix what isnt broken!

it looks rusty maybe because the Mopar Fluid is a Red color? Just change the coolant with the right stuff and save your time for something else. You dont need to flush unless you have a cooling or heater issue. Less is more!

???? You don't need to flush ?

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
???? You don't need to flush ?

Oh you got me Tommudd!

Sorry My fingers were too tired to explain myself. Feelin better now, so these were my thoughts.

I dont know anything about the condition of this guys car.
He wants to do a fluid change and has not listed any problems other than a red rust colored coolant. Is the coolant Mopar red stuff or water with rust? No reply to this.

*I dont like chemical flushes as they can cause damage to Head gaskets, seals, glues etc.
*A water flush is not good because the water will never be fully drained out. water will dilute the coolant and cause rust, etc.
*A dealer flush is costly and some steaterships are crooks! Bad feelings keep me away from them.

**Changing Coolant is a good idea but are the coolant hoses capable of holding new coolant without bursting? (new coolant usually means a higher water pressure causing weak hoses to burst) Is that Heater hose assembly ready to pop? Is the thermostat getting changed too?
***If not, just change the coolant and monitor the rust, temp, hoses, etc. Plus if an old hose bursts after the coolant swap, fixing the part and adding new coolant again is like a coolant flush anyways.

FYI: when that Heater hose assembly pops, coolant hits the hot exhaust manifolds and makes a big cloud of steam -you cant see past the windshield for a long while. People who see it thinks your car blew up Hollywood style.
(We didnt hit anything hope you dont either!)

What are your thought on this??