What Battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepsterkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went out and checked which battery I had in my 2005 2.8 CRD KJ and I got a bit of a shock...It was a 113...a weedy little 50AH battery with a pathetic cranking power of 500CCA...Yet is is expected to crank over heavy 2.8 litre Diesel! It's working fine now, but in the Winter, when the cold causes battery capacity to drop, it might not have the power to turn my VM 2.8 over.
After much research online I finally found the perfect battery for my KJ...The Advanced 096R-XD Car Battery. The XD stands for extra density...A standard 096R battery has a capacity of around 74AH and 680 CCA, but the Advanced 096R-XD has a capacity of 77AH and 780 CCA!
Whats more, it comes with a 5 year warranty and compared to some brands, at £75, it is relatively cheap.
When it arrived I went outside to fit it and found out the battery tray was a bit too short for it. I wasn't put off as one way or the other this was going in. I noticed the battery tray was made of plastic, and the raised lip of the tray nearest to the engine had a couple of cracks in it. So using a pair of mole grips (adjustable locking pliers), I twisted off the plastic lip completely at that end. After filing it flush, the new battery dropped straight in.
Then I just need to make a clamp to hold the battery down...I had some 1" x 1" x 1/8" Aluminium angle, so I cut a 3" length of it to 1" x 10mm x 1/8", then drilled an 8mm hole in the middle of the wide section to give some wiggle room for the M6 clamping bolt...clamped in it and job was a good'n! :winner_third_h4h:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you can get the Sasquatch battery tray and pop in a Odyssey PC1750 which is rated at 950cca(mine has always put out over 1300cca's),comes with a 4 year free replacement and than a 72 month pro-rated warranty.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Good price & it is nice to have a fresh battery for the CRD!
Back in the day when I used lead acid batteries, I found that the felt pads greatly reduced most terminal corrosion.
61928[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I now only buy AGM (absorb glass mat) batteries, they are fully sealed & wont offer up any corrosion to terminals.
Although fairly expensive, the deep cycle Odyssey batteries are the most powerful and will last over 10 years.
When I was in -30c, the Odyssey fires the Jeep up like nothing else.
61930[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• CggrdEh.jpg
    CggrdEh.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 0
  • rT0KpoJ.jpg
    rT0KpoJ.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 0

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
That was my 1st choice (based on being very impressed with the one that came in my Citroen C15) but it's well over twice that price in the UK, so on this occasion had to go for a cheaper option from a very reputable source. However, will need another (for an XJ: same battery) in due course - so once I resume visiting la Belle France I will be on the lookout.

France 16 Olivier

Reaction score
Finally I bought as spare the YUASA YBX5096 at 100 euros at power-manutention.fr
I bought a Yuasa for my 2nd car last year, i like the green indicator the Varta doesnt have.
They deliver for Free inside France ;)

Last edited:

France 16 Olivier

Reaction score
No need to buy the extra bracket sold in USA or Canada ;)

Attachments

• 2.8L CRD upgrade battery 1.jpg
    2.8L CRD upgrade battery 1.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.8L CRD upgrade battery 2.jpg
    2.8L CRD upgrade battery 2.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Members online