Weak door mirrors, perhaps switch.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atvuornf

Reaction score
I went to a great deal of effort today and stripped down my door mirror.
It won't adjust from the switch or it does once very slowly and then gives up.
I removed the two motors which control the up/down and left/right.

Both motors were in perfect order and when I applied power it worked very well, back and forth.

I fitted it back on the car and tried it, it moved a few mm and then stopped.

Might it be the switch no giving enough power. Both door mirror don't move.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting that the motors are still working. Perhaps its a resistor, but I don't know much about electronics.

I'm curious to see how you get them working again. Mine have been out of order for a while now.

atvuornf

Reaction score
There is no need to remove the mirror.
Pull off the glass and the unit is held in place with three torxs and one electrical plug.

Once out, it's held together by one central torx screw and simply un-clips for disassembly . The motors push into a recess as do the electrical connections. Gears are plastic.

Once done it's very easy. I applied 12v and tested in both directions.

atvuornf

Reaction score
Can anyone give me help with these slow mirrors.

Today I took the mirror switch apart and cleaned the connections but found nothing wrong.

After refitting the switch I removed the mirror glass and used a 12v test lamp to check for power/live whilst operating the mirror. To my amazement it worked just fine. Once I removed the test light it stopped working just like before (both mirrors worked).

Searching online I see a few people with the slow and then give up adjustment issues.
It must be the chips in the switch???

Has anyone fitted a new switch to resolve this problem.