very small leak, possibly through third brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thought i'd start my own thread since I couldn't find one with info I was looking for.

So right below the 3rd brake light, there's a plastic molding that looks like a vent on the head board.

I noticed a very small drip of water coming through it where this molding clips on to the roof. not enough to wet any carpet in the cargo area. It's been raining this whole weekend.

Has anyone tried using some sort of closed cell weather stripping to seal the 3rd brake light? Or does anyone have some sort of solution they've used?
suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So water came in though that vented piece of plastic trim that looks down over the edge of the cargo area? That's strange for sure.

First thing is make sure you don't have rust there. I don't see how you could in AZ but worth checking. If you don't, then it just has to be that the foamy perimeter of the 3rd brake light is shot. Closed cell weather stripping could work if you find the right width and it's not too thick. I would take the light out, run a bead of silicone around the perimeter, let it dry then put it back on the Jeep after it dries.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah...... the only other spot i could think off would be the roof rail but I would think the headliner would be soaked.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Water can travel some strange routes before it drops down. But there isn't too many places back there that it could. Do what Hoosier stated , its a good start

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I onetime thought mine had a leak but then I realized the glass was just dripping and had flung water onto the Husky liner once I opened it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably the foam on rear of light is not sealing good anymore.
I've always been concerned about this too.
If you could remove it overnight, and lay a nice bead of roofing urethane and then smoothen, that would probably seal it great.
Good luck and bye for now..
58268[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• bye%20bye.gif
    bye%20bye.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah. It should, knocked mine off with a ski pole once. I can send you a ski pole if you can't get it. :D

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an aftermarket high brake light that leaked ever since I put it in. Same type of leak you describe only worse. I caulked it to the Jeep. No more leak. The light will also never be coming off again...

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rainy night #3 going on at the moment.
so far so good. will have another look see tomorrow.

I want to add that before I added the additional weather stripping, I noticed the black weather stripping material around the 3rd brake light seems to have actually absorbed some water. Maybe with age, it looses its properties?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That very well could be. Especially where you're at with the heat.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah.....
so far i don't see a leak.
I'll have to use a hose and get some good water on it to be sure later.

rsscoggins

Reaction score
With either the weatherstripping or the caulk, did you guys remove the original foam?

It’s been rainy of Biblical proportions here in Texas and I have a wet cargo area and it is also wet under the passenger seat (but not in the foot well area up front).

The foam on my third brake light is saturated. I pulled the trim at the rear and my headliner is damp. So I am assuming the brake light is leaking.

So should I remove that foam prior to trying to seal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With either the weatherstripping or the caulk, did you guys remove the original foam?

It’s been rainy of Biblical proportions here in Texas and I have a wet cargo area and it is also wet under the passenger seat (but not in the foot well area up front).

The foam on my third brake light is saturated. I pulled the trim at the rear and my headliner is damp. So I am assuming the brake light is leaking.

So should I remove that foam prior to trying to seal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not remove the existing foam.
I think I either put the weather stripping on top of it or just next to it around the edge of the housing.

Rich75043

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I bought mine last year the third brake light leaked as well but the cause of mine was the actual light mount was warped a bit like the po pried the light out with a screw driver. straightened best I could but couldn't get it to stop leaking so I put a brand new bulb on and just used clear silicone around the edges and screw holes lol hasn't leaked since