turn signal not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjwindsor

Reaction score
so lights were all working today, stopped for a bite to eat got back in and the turn signals do not work.

4ways flash, lights work when the you lock and unlock, just when you try and used the turn indicator the lights do not come on for the dash as well as the lights do not come on either......i have checked the fuses but i do not know where to go from here....

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely sound like the multi-function switch....that is the switch that has the stalks going out to the left and the right.
The multi-function switch picks up power direct from the hazard flasher unit...the fact that the hazard lights work means the basic wiring to the bulbs is OK...the green arrow LED on the console is in parallel with the light bulbs.
You need to remove the two plastic covers around the steering column by removing two small female Torx screws from underneath.

There are two type of multi-function switch available...one for KJs with front fog/driving lights and one for KJ without those lights.

kjwindsor

Reaction score
sorry about the lack of saying Hi and all that with my first message, I am happy to have found this site and have feedback from fellow KJ owners!

So over the past couple days I have replaced the turn signal stalk, still nothing......talked to the guys at chrystlers they said it could be the flasher could be the problem.....just kinda ***** as im buying up all this electrical and no one takes returns.....

kjwindsor

Reaction score
put the order in for the flasher, the only one I can find is attached to the hazzard button. is that the only one in a 2006?

widwesternjeepz

Reaction score
I would suspect MFS... Multi Function Switch, not too hard to replace i have done one. RockAuto.com has them for a better price than the dealer.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
having a similar problem. did the new flasher solve yers?

if i have either left or right indicator on they will flash normal, then click really fast, and eventually stop working. sometimes they work, sometimes they dont.

the hazard and parking lights still work normally.

thoughts?

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know im bringing up an old thread. Just had the same thing happen to mine. Hazards worked but the stalk did not engage the signal. Installed some OEM fogs (figured 100 bucks more than the switch to get foglights was a deal) and still the same issue. Pissed, and confused, I was headed to the gym and realized my rear defroster would not turn on. Replaced the fuse and the signals worked again... What an awkward pairing for a fuse. But at any rate, it popped again. Was wondering if anyone had some insight as to why it would keep giving out.

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As it turns out the fuse popped every time I but it in reverse. The issue was a faulty reverse switch.

craigholliday

Reaction score
Turn Signals don't work, but hazards do???

Hi, everyone, Craig from Durango, Colorado. I have a 03 KJ that has the exact same issue. Turn signals don't work, but the Hazards do. I replaced both the turn signal switch/stalk and the Hazard button, and checked the fuses.....and it still dosent' work, no turn signals at all. I was pulling a trailer and they went out, beyond that, have no idea why.
Does this KJ have a relay somewhere I don't know about. Or any other thoughts about why the turn signal doesn't work.
Any help would be appreciated.

thanks for all the input so far.....feeling frustrated at the situation.

-craig

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the factory fitted tow package? If not then remove your tow wiring and see what happens.....tow wiring causes a lot of these problems.

If you do not have the wiring diagrams you can download the KJ Service Manual for your 2003 KJ here...includes wiring diagrams:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

craigholliday

Reaction score
Yes, I have the factory tow kit. I was thinking it might have something to do with that, is there an extra fuse for the tow kit or a relay for the tow kit?
I didn't see one in the manual.

LostChord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump...any updates here.

Having same problem. Lights and hazards work, just no turn signals via the stalk.

Edit: not fuse # 9 for me. That didn't work.

Just checking on options before replacing the stalk, which appears to be next on the list to try.

Last edited:

LostChord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: Traced the problem to fuse # 39, which keeps blowing whenever the manual gearbox is placed in reverse. Now to find out why.

Assume a bad reverse switch on the box, or a bad ground somewhere.