Transmission will not go into gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

naviathan

Reaction score
2007 Liberty Trail Rated 4x4, 113k miles

Last night my family and I were on our way to a friends house. We slowed down for the car in front of us to turn into a driveway and when I went back on the gas it dropped like it went into neutral. I had to have it towed home. No matter what gear I put it in the truck won't move. The rpms adjust as though it's going into gear (presumably a function of the ECU unrelated to actual transmission function). After a bit of shifting through gears the CEL popped on and gave me a P0716 and P0721 (Input shaft and output shaft sensors). I pulled both sensors and they looked good. Rear sensor a little bit of dust stuck to it, but not enough to throw it off. I cleaned both sensors put them back in and cleared the codes. It still won't go into gear and the codes have come up again. The belly of this truck is super clean and dry. No leaks anywhere, not even staining to indicate it was leaking and just went dry. I'm a fair mechanic and I've never had to take a vehicle to a shop for anything, but this one just baffles me.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the shifter cable still attached to the arm on the transmission?

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the pan and check the filter. Filter might have split, might have come out of the trans....and you might have metal or clutch material in there.

naviathan

Reaction score
This is one of the sealed transmissions. I wouldn't be able to refill it if I dropped the pan. Supposedly I would need some stupid tool and a chart to check the temperature of the fluid to get the proper fill level. I hate new cars...

naviathan

Reaction score
Yeah...It's actually been off road very very little. The original owner was a young girl, guessing Daddy bought it for her. She got pregnant and decided she needed a car so she traded it in Dec last year. We bought it the same night she traded it. I've had it off road once to pull a Commander out of the mud and towed a car out of a ditch once. That's the extent of stress on this transmission. It's only got 113k on it. This thing should be just broken in. I swear it's like someone just disconnected the torque converter.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine went, I still had 2nd in forward if I hit it hard. No reverse at all.

naviathan

Reaction score
When mine went, I still had 2nd in forward if I hit it hard. No reverse at all.

That's the weird part, I don't have anything. One minute we're rolling down the road, nothing wrong, we slowed down for a turning vehicle, then nothing. No drive, no 2nd, no 1st, no reverse...Nothing. I even tried putting it in 4 low to see if I could get the front axle moving, but sadly no, that didn't help either.

naviathan

Reaction score
Tow truck picked up the Jeep and is hauling it to the transmission shop. The lead mechanic says it sounds like the teeth in the torque converter stripped out. He said he's seen it before in the Jeeps.

Franky83

Reaction score
Hy Naviathan... I Have the same problem as u had 6 years ago... what was the final repair u had to make?

Latest posts

Members online