Transfer case noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huxley

Reaction score
So I just got my 07 Sport today. Test drove it quite a bit over 2 days. But now, of course, once it's at home and I'm driving around, it's making a clicking noise. It's not when I'm in 4 hi or anything. Not sure it's a cv. How can I tell if it's the transfer case adjustment? It's a clicking that's more pronounced when turning but completely goes away by the time I hit 10 mph or if I hit the gas a little harder than it doesn't make any noise. Mostly just scooting around a parking lot. What are some things I can check that might be making the click? It definitely sounds like it's not the motor but just under driver side. Positively front end somewhere. Oh also it might be that it doesn't make the noise when its still warming up. But again, just got it today. Just frustrated it's making noise already. Otherwise it's in great great condition. Just point me in a direction to check something.
Thanks!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Sounds like a CV joint to me. Check the boots for cuts and the shafts for play. Front drive shaft CV likes to go bad.

Huxley

Reaction score
Ok cool. I'll check there first. In the mean time until I have a spot to repair it, is it safe to drive around?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
They can click for quite awhile before anything breaks completely, and I've never heard of a KJ CV breaking completely. I always heard it was good to get at them sooner than later since the "clicking" is really "hammering" impacts into and through whatever it's attached to.

Diagnosed a bad CV on a friend's VW bus long ago that was pretty bad. He asked "How long?" and I said "Two weeks". Found him by the side of the road exactly two weeks later and towed him home.

Huxley

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the info. I'll get to it as soon as I can. When I was looking it over and under before I purchased it, I didn't see any issues with the CVs but based on what I've read, I'll replace the transfer case side first and see if that does it. Will probably change the fluids in the diffs and the transfer case first since I don't have any service records.
Thanks again

t-tomer

Reaction score
hey, i'm also having the same issue i think.

i have clicking noise from the front underneath. this is happening only when the jeep is in working temperature, and while rolling in very low speed.

also in bumps and small pits, i hear something that sounds like a bad ball joint but i replaced all of my front ball joints to moog not long ago. maybe those two problem related?

and if it is a front CV, why it's not clicking when the engine is cold?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
hey, i'm also having the same issue i think.

i have clicking noise from the front underneath. this is happening only when the jeep is in working temperature, and while rolling in very low speed.

also in bumps and small pits, i hear something that sounds like a bad ball joint but i replaced all of my front ball joints to moog not long ago. maybe those two problem related?

and if it is a front CV, why it's not clicking when the engine is cold?

Could be as simple as when its cold the grease is more shall we say solid/ thicker so its absorbing more of the noise, keeping the bearings a bit tighter, once warmed, well not as good