Trailer Hitch Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello again. We went in search of a few Liberty parts at the local junkyards. In my search we stumbled across an OEM Mopar trailer hitch that looks like it has barely been used, if at all. It wasn't one of the parts we were in search of that day, but we couldn't pass it up. We knew we were going to put one on it at some point in time, so we figured now was as good of time as any.

We got home, I got it all bolted up and ready to go. Now the only issue is, I don't have any trailer wires..

Where do I start with this? Is the Liberty, perhaps, pre wired for the hookup? Or do I have to get a kit and start from scratch? I googled and didn't find much on the subject. I read enough to know most people say stay away from the aftermarket kits and go with the OEM kit (which is probably my preference anyways). But that's about all I know about it so far.

I probably should go back and look at the ones they had in the junkyard we were at. I think they had maybe 3 or 4 with hitches that I saw. Probably worth the time to go see if any of them had the wiring installed.

Assuming they don't, please help coach me through adding the wiring to ours.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello again. We went in search of a few Liberty parts at the local junkyards. In my search we stumbled across an OEM Mopar trailer hitch that looks like it has barely been used, if at all. It wasn't one of the parts we were in search of that day, but we couldn't pass it up. We knew we were going to put one on it at some point in time, so we figured now was as good of time as any.

We got home, I got it all bolted up and ready to go. Now the only issue is, I don't have any trailer wires..

Where do I start with this? Is the Liberty, perhaps, pre wired for the hookup? Or do I have to get a kit and start from scratch? I googled and didn't find much on the subject. I read enough to know most people say stay away from the aftermarket kits and go with the OEM kit (which is probably my preference anyways). But that's about all I know about it so far.

I probably should go back and look at the ones they had in the junkyard we were at. I think they had maybe 3 or 4 with hitches that I saw. Probably worth the time to go see if any of them had the wiring installed.

Assuming they don't, please help coach me through adding the wiring to ours.

FIRST a picture of what you got may help
SECOND, most all hook up in the rear right side quarter panel, remove it and there is wiring.
I bought mine from e-trailer 13 years ago, aftermarket plug and play and still works to this day.
If it has the larger plug, not flat 4 on any you look at one wire goes to the front
So knowing what to look for is 3/4 of the battle
So you never got the free hitch from MOPAR ?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What year is your Jeep? What are you wanting to pull?
Anyways here is the link to etrailer, add year /liberty with plug & play connectors available.
There are also install videos on this site, once you click on a product for the KJ.
Link: https://www.etrailer.com/fitguidet1.htm

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didn't they recall KJ liberties and put a trailer hitch on them? the idea was it would protect the gas tank some during a rear end collision.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Liberty has never had a trailer hitch, it didn't come with one. We are the second owner, and I know the first owner - and it has never had one installed on it. If it was a recall, it was not performed on this one. I still see quite a few around here without trailer hitches on them, so I know it at least isn't a complete oddball.

Are you wanting a picture of the trailer hitch I bought, or a picture of any preexisting wiring to have a starting point? The existing wiring would be inside the interior panel on the passenger side in the cargo area at the back of the Jeep? If so I'll dig into this today to see what I have back there.

I have an '05 Limited. I really don't intend to pull too much with it really, but like to have the option. I have a tow dolly that I might haul home smaller cars with once in a great while. We're looking to get his and hers kayaks soon, so I'll probably end up getting a small trailer to carry the kayaks with instead of having to buy racks/mounts for both the Jeep and my truck. It makes more sense to me to get something that can be swapped back and forth between the two vehicles, plus it saves having to car top them. Might possibly also use the Jeep to use a hitch mounted bike rack once in a while too. Normally I carry the bikes in the bed of the truck, but if we happen to go somewhere where we have more people or somewhere with lots of luggage the Jeep might be used for that as well.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could have gotten a brand new hitch installed for free from a dealership if you had the recall done.

I recommend the mopar trailer hitch wiring kit and go for the 7-pin plug then buy a 4 way adapter. this is what i did because it gives you more options of what you can tow. it also gives you an option to install a trailer brake controller if you wanted. i didnt go that far as i dont plan to tow that much weight but i like being able to use both styles of plug.

for around im guessing $150 US as it was around $200 CDN the mopar kit is extremely easy to install. all plug and play and everything works. you have to pass one wire through the firewall but with a coat hanger even this isn't really a difficult task. everything is the perfect length and makes for a nice clean install.

you need 2 kits:

PN 82207248AB
AND
PN 82207620AB

UNLESS you have an EVIC installed from the factory, then you only need the first PN

Last edited:

ktmwoodsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hitch wiring

My Liberty has never had a trailer hitch, it didn't come with one. We are the second owner, and I know the first owner - and it has never had one installed on it. If it was a recall, it was not performed on this one. I still see quite a few around here without trailer hitches on them, so I know it at least isn't a complete oddball.

Are you wanting a picture of the trailer hitch I bought, or a picture of any preexisting wiring to have a starting point? The existing wiring would be inside the interior panel on the passenger side in the cargo area at the back of the Jeep? If so I'll dig into this today to see what I have back there.

I have an '05 Limited. I really don't intend to pull too much with it really, but like to have the option. I have a tow dolly that I might haul home smaller cars with once in a great while. We're looking to get his and hers kayaks soon, so I'll probably end up getting a small trailer to carry the kayaks with instead of having to buy racks/mounts for both the Jeep and my truck. It makes more sense to me to get something that can be swapped back and forth between the two vehicles, plus it saves having to car top them. Might possibly also use the Jeep to use a hitch mounted bike rack once in a while too. Normally I carry the bikes in the bed of the truck, but if we happen to go somewhere where we have more people or somewhere with lots of luggage the Jeep might be used for that as well.

I have the complete harness with 4 way plug all set up for liberty if your interested. It even has a bracket and mount that can be bolted on your jeep. Let me know if you are interested might save you a few bucks.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the complete harness with 4 way plug all set up for liberty if your interested. It even has a bracket and mount that can be bolted on your jeep. Let me know if you are interested might save you a few bucks.

Thank you for the offer, but I have already sourced the harness now.

If I'm understanding this right the EVIC is the overhead console above the rear view mirror, right? The one with the compass, mpg, miles left, maintenance reminders, trip odometer, time elapsed, etc. If yes, I do already have this installed factory. This means I only need the 82207248AB harness, correct?

How does everybody have their 7 pin connector attached to the back of the vehicle?

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the offer, but I have already sourced the harness now.

If I'm understanding this right the EVIC is the overhead console above the rear view mirror, right? The one with the compass, mpg, miles left, maintenance reminders, trip odometer, time elapsed, etc. If yes, I do already have this installed factory. This means I only need the 82207248AB harness, correct?

How does everybody have their 7 pin connector attached to the back of the vehicle?

Yes that is correct. The EVIC is the overhead console and if you have that from the factory then you should only need the first PN I listed. And you won't need to pass a wire through the firewall like I mentioned. All the work for that harness is in the trunk of the Jeep. Very easy.

For $4 I ordered the small bracket that holds the 7 pin plug and screwed the bracket onto the trailer hitch right beside the reciever. I will post a pic later when I'm home from work

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online