TPMS Light Blinking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I had a flat the other day and swapped to my spare while having the other fixed. My TPMS light was blinking while I was running the spare and had left the other tire at the store, but I figured that was because it wasn't getting a 5th tire signal, but when I got the tire back its still flashing. All 5 tires are at about 35psi. Does that mean the tire that I had fixed my have a broken monitor now? Or do you have to somehow reset the TPMS after getting the tires changed?

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I think when you took the other tire AWAY from the car for the repair, it lost the signal and that's why it is blinking. IS there a reset in the manual? That, or the one in the spare doesn't work; did you put the original tire back on? You also can't use ANY fix-a-flat or other stuff in the tires with these TPMS sensors in the rim, it clogs them up.

Anyhow, yeah, the light in my Vibe blinks too, but that is because I removed the $180.00 sensors from the wheels. I was going to buy tires at Sams Club, but one sensor was damaged, the threads for the cap. Someone put the wrong sized CHROME cap on, and crushed the top of the valve stem, and he could not get the valve out. It was leaking a little so it had to be replaced. Well he could not get the thing out, so, we called the dealer, and they wanted $180.00 for the sensor. We said, FORGET THAT man... Sams would not proceed any farther, and would no replace the sensors with regular valve stems. AND, NO other main-stream car place (PepBoyz, NTB, ect) would remove the sensors, and replace them with regular valve stems. They said, since it came WITH it, it HAS to have it. The guy at Sam's told me, any car 2006, and above, has TPMS, due to the ford tire blow-outs debacle. I said, yeah, funny thing about that? I got a 2006 Liberty, no TPMS!!! He said "Oh, that's odd." I also said; that ford tire issue was due to badly made tires from FIRESTONE/BRIDGESTONE, in which they would normally not blow out if slightly under inflated, it was a DESIGN FLAW. He said the TPMS systems were made BECAUSE of that, yeah sure... I think he was full of crap with those two lines... So, I just bought the tires, no warranty now, and took them to a regular mechanic to remove the sensors, and put regular stems in, and mount/balance the tires. Originally, the light was SOLID with the sensors sitting on the front seat. I brought them in the office, now it blinks for about a minute, then goes solid...

Yours is acting like a sensor is not being read.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
They must have busted the sensor in the tire they fixed I will bet so the system is not reading it. The 05 system automatically trains itself. I know this for sure since mine is an 05 like yours. I think 04 and prior have a tool to train the sensors.

Also, the sensors are a pain and only trust one shop with messing with my tires.

All that stuff powerslave said is true about firestone tires being the reason for the federal gvt mandating the sensors.

The last I knew though, they were around $35 or so apiece so check around. Also if the tire place you went to busted the sensor they should replace it. Course that is if they admit they busted it. But if it was working before............?

Dave

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
TPMS Legislation - In 2000 Firestone recalled 6.5 million tires due to tread separation on Ford vehicles. This prompted President Clinton to sign the first version of the TREAD Act which required Tire Pressure Warning Systems to be implemented on Model Year 2004 automobiles. These were to include all passenger vehicles and light trucks with GWVR of 10,000 lbs and less.

This is STUPID, because the TIRES were bad, was for one car MFR, which lead to the failures, pressure non withstanding! However, the rules were gone over, and a "Phase in" plan was used instead; The phase in schedule for new vehicles was:
20% compliance for Model Year 2006
70% compliance for Model Year 2007 (9/1/06)
100% compliance for Model Year 2008 (9/1/07)

So yeah, my Vibe is a 2008, and would require 100% compliance. WE, have to pay again, because someone made a mistake, or shortcut that led to a mistake. IT should be that only FORD has to use TPMS, because no other car MFR had this issue, yet they are now all forced to add $500.00 to the retail price, for TPMS... I hate the US Government, with a passion...

..And, we wonder why the auto-makers fail? The government keeps adding mandates that cost MORE and MORE money, thus translate to higher retail for us. The FEDs need to butt the hell out, and just let the market determine the paths, not the rule from some money hungry judge's gavel. Who the hell wants to pay 180.00 for a freeking OE sensor from the dealer, that costs almost twice the TIRE? Not me, and I removed them, ALL FOUR of them... Screw the FEDs, I won't adhere to these stupid, and forced mandates because some tire MFR made bad tires...

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TPMS sensors are not a pain there is one extra step to working with them. if you break a sensor changing a tire you are an idiot.

Take it back to the shop and have them retrain it and see if ti works, if it doesnt you have a bad sensor and you can blame them.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
TPMS sensors are not a pain there is one extra step to working with them. if you break a sensor changing a tire you are an idiot.

Take it back to the shop and have them retrain it and see if ti works, if it doesnt you have a bad sensor and you can blame them.

TPMS are a pain when you go to a shop and get new tires installed and they break one. Happened to a friend of mine also. That is why I only trust one place messing with my tires.

Weston.....take it back and see if they will fix it.....if they broke it. The 05 TPMS train themselves. They do on my 05 KJ so they should on your 05 KJ.

Dave

Dave

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
well it was working before so they did break it, the only thing is i wrecked my jeep about 10 minutes after i dropped the tire off so... i won't be able to get it back to them until probably late next week so, im not sure if they'll still fix it...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TPMS is idiotic,people are just to damn lazy these days.I hate touching tires at work with TPMS.I really hate those TPMS systems that use rubber valve stems so you can not tell if they have TPMS or not so you break them anyway without knowing.Then you got those vehicles that have the TPMS sensors banded on the rim itself,you got a 50% chance of breaking them no matter what and there is nothing you can do about it.There are many makes of vehicles that require the OEM specific scanner to reset or relearn the TPMS sensors,so no matter what you are going to have to go to the dealership and pay for the relearn.At least TPMS equipted vehicles pay more money to me for me to work on them,increasing the cost to the customer though.If the vehicle comes in with the TPMS light on I am not required to release the vehicle with the light off,they have to pay more for me to turn the light off if we even can.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was not the lazy people that was for TPMS, it was the Government that MANDATED them, 100% standard and REQUIRED in 2008, because of FIRESTONE in 2000...
Yeah but it stemmed from poeple being lazy and not checking there tires pressures like they are supposed to.If the idiots would have checked there pressures the whole blowout crap would not have happened.I personally seen 2 sets of those tires that was part of that lawsuit(had to tow the Explorers),they where bald on the outside tread and almost perfect tread in the center hence running at way low psi for long periods of time which lead to high temps in the tire and ending with a blowout/tread separation which is caused by high heat.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
The design flaw was the main reason they DID blow at low pressure. I find it hard to believe that; THAT MANY people had blow-outs due to low pressure. No, it was a MFR defect that was the root problem.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The design flaw was the main reason they DID blow at low pressure. I find it hard to believe that; THAT MANY people had blow-outs due to low pressure. No, it was a MFR defect that was the root problem.
Low pressure in any tire at highway speeds can cause a blow out,now 5-10 psi low is kinda far fetched but 15psi+ low will blow like clockwork at repeated high speed driving in hot temps(when all the tires blew).

I agree it could have been Firestones fault but there was not that many blowouts,there are thousands of blowouts everyday and they do not get any news coverage.It just was some reporters story after finding a large # on the same type of vehicle in a short time.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Sure, a tire may BLOW OUT, ok, I get that; but the tread separation? That's either one of two things. 1, they sold NEW tires, but were ReTreads and didn't want to admit it. 2, they were indeed a MFR defect. A new tire, not a retreat, should not have a tread separate from the tire; only a retread should do that.

Anyhow, TPMS is stupid, we've been without TPMS for over 50 years, now all of the sudden it's a must? Lazy people? No, STUPID people, because only and idiot would not check their tires, when that's all that's between you and the pavement.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More resurrection.

My understanding was that Ford, thanks to the suits there, (I mean the business execs) didn't want the Explorer to ride like a truck so they recommended 24 lbs pressure in the Explorer. Way too low. Would cause blow outs in any tire, when the lazy people let them get much lower.

Motorcycles. I am always glad to be able to monitor my tire pressure when riding. I check my air regularly, but I can't do that while I'm riding, while I'm under way. So... tpms.

One days I was riding and the flashing triangle appears (yellow) and it says 17 lbs in rear tire. I think ... nail in tire. I pull over. Yes, nail in tire. Where have I stopped? Lo and behold in front of a tire shop. I get a patch and ride with a patched tire, still holding air per the tpms for 1000 miles before I replace it.

My friend, same bike riding on the freeway. Gets the low pressure warning. Pulls to side of freeway. I goes completely flat. Picked up a nail. Better on the side of the road than in the fast lane.

So you see, there can be life saving features to these tpms, at least on a motorcycle.
dc

Latest posts

Members online