Tip Start - starting procedure on new Chrysler/Dodge/Jeeps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Latitude

Reaction score
I was just reading up on the 07 Grand Cherokee, 07 Commander, 07 Dakota, Dodge Nitro, and virtually every other Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicle:

They have this feature called "Tip Start." Its like on newer GM cars, some Toyotas, etc, where you just turn the key to start and immediately release, and the car does the cranking/firing automatically....No need to hold it in Start.

I read it was an addition with the CANbus computer system.

Why didn't the Liberty get this until 2008? With the programming for the electronic throttle control, you'd think Tip Start woulda been included too...as every other Jeep now made has it.

Just a curiousity. Or does the 07 actually have it? I never did try this on mine...

Also, what do you guys think of this idea? Like it? Dislike it? Would you ignore it?

2003KJ

Reaction score
I actually really like this feature. My buddy's 04 Silverado has it, and it's really nice to be able to just turn the key and let go.

07Latitude

Reaction score
I actually really like this feature. My buddy's 04 Silverado has it, and it's really nice to be able to just turn the key and let go.

Me too...my Boss's Toy Sequoia has it too. Hence me being a bit "irked" reading the KJ doesn't get it, but the KK does. :(

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just about to say that. Liberty never changed over to CANBUS like the Grand Cherokee, new lines, and the LX platform. However, I have a CANBUS vehicle and it does not have TIP Start. The LXs, however, also have the older generation CANBUS (slower speed) that does not get changed over until the 08 models. Also means they are getting MyGIG

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh, I personally like the good old hold the key to start trick.

All of these electronics is getting kinda stupid.

Who is to lazy to hold the key anyway? Only in America I guess.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
remember the old days (b4 fuel injection) when you had to even "pump the peddal" to give it gas to start it? Gee we are spoiled arent we? :D

AbsoluteRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh, I personally like the good old hold the key to start trick.

All of these electronics is getting kinda stupid.

Who is to lazy to hold the key anyway? Only in America I guess.

I remote start the jeep while sitting in the driver seat...damn im lazy

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might as well just go the whole nine yards and go with "keyless" starting where you just push a button and the car fires up.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Might as well just go the whole nine yards and go with "keyless" starting where you just push a button and the car fires up.

Those are the most annoying things ever. The newer Cadillacs and Nissans have those and I always forget the key to bring back to the cashier's office. LUCKILY the doors don't lock by themselves or else I'd be screwed.

07Latitude

Reaction score
remember the old days (b4 fuel injection) when you had to even "pump the peddal" to give it gas to start it? Gee we are spoiled arent we? :D

You should see my 80 Trans Am after it sits 2 weeks! I don't have a choke on my carb either! I always chuckle if a friend wants to drive the car and it feels like being cold-blooded :p

nightowl90028

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm i had a 04 grand prix with the tip start and i hated it, sometimes it would take longer to crank up then me cranking my kj. It can be good and bad. I thought i heard somewhere where the starter goes faster or something to that extint. but i dunno..:confused:

Latest posts

Members online