Timken wheel bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So timkens are the ones to get right? My real question is most others are specific right or left, timken seems to one that fits both right or left? Is it just a difference of the direction abs wire exits?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think OEM is SKF but Timkin is usually good too, although I've read reports of both off shoring production which *****. I think they are the same aside from ABS/no ABS.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with Moog because no one had timken in stock local.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Hoosier, are you saying timken is no longer the bearing of choice?

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only heard good things about timken. I would have gone with them over the moog if it was in Stock locally.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So timkens are the ones to get right? My real question is most others are specific right or left, timken seems to one that fits both right or left? Is it just a difference of the direction abs wire exits?

Double-check that the Timkens are for ABS-equipped KJ's. IIRC, I bought two of the same part number for my '03 without ABS since there were no sensor wires to deal with. I'd think for an ABS KJ the parts would be different since the sensor harness is only long enough to be routed one way. Not a lot of slop in those harnesses so as to keep them out of the way of a rotating tire.

Bob

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, but Rock Auto lists then as fitting left or right? Part# HA599455L which seems L means left, but they say it fits both sides?

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, but Rock Auto lists then as fitting left or right? Part# HA599455L which seems L means left, but they say it fits both sides?

Yep - that's the correct part. And they are the same so you can just order two of them, one for the right and one for the left. The "L" at the end of the part number has no 'bearing' on which side it goes on (see what I did there...? :happy175: )

I realized after looking at the picture that the bearing can simply be rotated to have the ABS harness on the correct side - kind of a "doh!" moment for me. Since there is no "Up" or "Front" or "Rear" orientation you can just rotate the unit so the wire is coming out toward the back or top as it is currently on your factory hubs.

Sorry for confusing the issue - I wasn't thinking that one through :emotions34: :gr_grin:

Bob

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I figured, just was looking for some confirmation from someone who's been down that road. I did search that part number and inserted an 4 instead and it looks like once upon a time they were side specific. Must have decided it was unnecessary. Ordered them today from rock Auto using discount code from this site. Thanks guys for helping me out.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you order 2 "R's " it may turn it into a right hand drive , so be careful :happy175:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only negative about the timken i bought was it rusted a bit quick. If i did it again i'd toss some paint on it. looked worse than the one I took off in a year where oem was there for 8.

If you don't need the abs and your sensor has it clip off the wire and leave sensor in place so crud doesn't get in there. They are the same left to right.