Timing chain tensioner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lefthockey

Reaction score
Okay. Got the timing cover off my 3.7 2006 liberty.

The primary tensioner, left chain guide, and left chain tensioner are in pices. I also found two metal half circles that I think came out of the timing cover that go around the crank shaft.

My questions is it possible to replace the chain tensioners and guides with out removing the whole chain? If I do need to remove it all any one have a how to on the timing chain?

For the left chain guide their is a plastic plug behind the power steering pump on the block it is possible to get that off? The primary tensioner I have lose but is stuck behind the chain. Hopeing there is a trick.

Second, what are the metal circles from? What part do I need to replace?

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have it apart you might as well do the whole kit ,chains guides tensioners. Guarantee if you do a patch job the whole shebang is gunna need doin soon after it goes back together. I used the J&A kit from Rock Auto but had my mechanic fit it.

2004 3.7 limited

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd second Tog's response. Do all the guides and tensioners at least. The sprockets and chains really aren't wear items. As for the plastic plug, I popped mine off from the inside once the rocker cover was removed. The primary tensioner requires the chains to come off anyway.

The metal "half circles" sounds scary. Pics would help. Could it be the thrust washers? They should be back further if installed right. Really need to pull the oil pan to get to them. The one secondary tensioner has a backing plate so block off the opening (rag) to the oil pan when you pull them so you don't lose it in the pan.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that is part of the primary chain tensioner. They are the "spring" portion that keep tension on the guide part of the tensioner.

Lefthockey

Reaction score
I ordered all the parts to replace everything today. Should the idler gear (large one in the front) sepereate from the two secondary timing gears? When I try pulling it off all three want to come.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered all the parts to replace everything today. Should the idler gear (large one in the front) sepereate from the two secondary timing gears? When I try pulling it off all three want to come.

Must be normal, mine stayed together too. Not saying they can't be separated but I remember them staying together when I did my crank.

Lefthockey

Reaction score
Got it all done today l. Thanks for all the help. Was much more of a job then anticipated but it is done and drives.

Members online

No members online now.