Timing chain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lefthockey

Reaction score
Have an 06 Liberty with 195,000 miles. 3.7 V6.

Took iT to the shop today with a rattle from the timing chain. They looked at and want 1130 to repair it but are worried there is a bigger issues and is suggesting replacing the engine. They are testing the oil pressure to see if it is good.

Next problem. It has been having an issue where it will stutter almost feels like the eninge is missing but it only does it 45-50 mph. I am worried the transmission is slipping. Or is this all related to the timing chain?

Just have the chain tensionor replaced, the engine, or sell it.

Thoughts?

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience with these timing chains is they do not stretch out a whole lot even with 200k on the clock, far as the tensioner letting the timing be slack enough to cause a problem I don't know.

A compression test and oil pressure will tell you something about how healthy the engine is.

Not sure about the 45-50 mph problem, is there a Check Engine Light?
Could be fuel or transmission too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's more cost effective and easier to change out the engine than it is to replace the timing chain. So they basically don't want to do I so they are blowing smoke to get you to swap in an engine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to have my timing chains done at 194k kilometers bad rattle but only when it got hot mechanic stated after the repair that the chains had stretched to the point the tensioners couldn't take up the slack any further. Rattle is gone since repair

2004 3.7 limited

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to have my timing chains done at 194k kilometers bad rattle but only when it got hot mechanic stated after the repair that the chains had stretched to the point the tensioners couldn't take up the slack any further. Rattle is gone since repair

2004 3.7 limited

I had a similar thing at about 160k on my 02 but turned out the tensioners were shot. Chains were fine after that.