Ticking noise help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gfmadden330

Reaction score
Hey guys, the last few days I have heard a faint ticking noise, it's not coming from the engine bay, so I know it's part of the running gear, I thought it could be a wheel bearing, but I've dealt with bearing before, and they howl, not tick. Seems to be coming from the fron5, but I can't be sure, ticking starts slow, and speeds up as I accelerate, and it doesn't seem to do it all the time. Any advice? (2002 liberty limited 4x4)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's lash lifter tap.. only way to get rid of it is to replace them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's not coming from the engine bay, so I'd check your CVs. I'd specifically look at the CV on the rear of the front driveshaft.

Rich75043

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe something in a tire like a nail, screw, or tiny rock in the tread?? possibly isn't as loud on different pavement?

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be an exhaust leak, especially since you mention it speeds up when you accelerate. Mine did exactly the same, turned out to be a small leak where the exhaust downpipe connects to the manifold.

gfmadden330

Reaction score
Well, i only noticed the tick on dry pavement, I live on a gravel road, but with all the ice and slush I couldn't hear the noise, I've checked everything over, cvshafts, exhaust, brakes, nothing seems to be the cause of the tick, today I plan to go to town, I just had an alignment down, could they of messed something up?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online