Throttle Position Sensor - Recurring Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corrado15

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have an 02 3.7L with around 93k on it now. About 10 months ago I replaced the TPS due to erratic idling and occasional hesitation when driving (I did the key trick to get the codes so knew the TPS to be the cause). I also cleaned the IAC at the same time.

It's ran like a champ in the interim until last week. Family and I were about half way through a 600 mile trek to Outer Banks in NC when there was some violent jerking which lasted a few seconds, went away, came back again a few minutes later. CEL light came on so I pulled over and checked the codes (p0121 and p0123) which leads me to conclude that this is a recurrence of the previous problem. I removed the TPS wiring connector, blew in it to remove any debris and replaced it. No further recurrence (and CEL light eventually went out) until a week later when we were half way through making the return trip. The KJ hesitated abruptly a couple of times and then was fine for the remainder of the journey. This last hesitation occurred just as a heavy rainstorm started (not sure if that is relevant).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this problem may be recurring other than my 10-month old TPS has gone bad (which seems unlikely). The truck is my wifes daily driver and I don't want her to end up getting stuck somewhere in the current 90 degree heat.

Any help greatly appreciated as always.

Davy

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am sure when it comes to sensors the OEM parts are better quality but what makes them more reliable? My curiosity now wondering, are aftermarket sensors not exacting enough in materials/workmanship/specs.... or what gives?
I doubt you can return these aftermarket sensors if used, so just stick to OEM.

pottsas

Reaction score
sounds similar to a problem I've had recurring for almost a year. I have replaced the TPS twice and cleaned mas/maf. hasn't helped me yet.

JeepKKRenegade

Reaction score
Stuck throttle

Hi fellow jeepsters:
I felt my accelerator stick today on a 2010 Liberty KK 3.7, turns out it was the winter grooved mats pushing the gas pedal, feel stupid calling a tow truck. I thought it was a major repair required like a TPS or a pedal sensor..

jack

Latest posts

Members online