Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

KJ General Discussion

Thinking about making a change, need advice from like minded people (KJ owners)

This is a discussion on Thinking about making a change, need advice from like minded people (KJ owners) within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
This is a bit off topic I realize but I seek the advice of KJ owners because I feel it ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2017, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thinking about making a change, need advice from like minded people (KJ owners)

This is a bit off topic I realize but I seek the advice of KJ owners because I feel it makes us all like minded in the way that, even though we all want different things from our vehicles, we all ended up in a KJ. That is why Im posting here, if the powers that be feel this is not a good enough reason to post here please feel free to move it to a more appropriate forum.

I earned myself a company vehicle this year and with that Im thinking of possibly buying something new. With the bulk of my mileage going on a company truck, if I buy something new it will stay a relatively low mileage vehicle for its whole life.

The advice I seek is to help me pick between my two choices. If you were going to pick between these two vehicles, which one would win in your opinion?

My two choices for a new vehicle would be either a 2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon or a 2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2. The Rubicon would be manual trans, the ZR2 would be auto because no choice. I see the ups and downs to both and I just wanted to hear some other peoples opinions. What do you all think?
2005 Patriot Blue KJ - 115000 kms - 3.7L, 6 Speed NSG370, Command-Trac, Trac-Lok, Front: OME 927/90009, .25" top plate, .375" clevis spacer, JBA lifted UCAs, Rear: OME 948/N132L + 1 extra iso per side, Black Rock 16 x 7's wrapped in 245/75 Goodyear Duratracs, 4Xguard rock sliders

KJ604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

I bought my first truck about 10 years ago...I've had one ever since. It gives me a kind of freedom I didn't have with a car...like going to swap meets or shopping and not having to worry about how am I going to get stuff home. But that's just me lol obviously ymmv.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mmm a zr2 in Canjun red tint coat or a Rubicon.....
JBA UCAs
JBA .25" top plates and .25" rings
245-70-16 Cooper AT3s
Aceofspades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Manual trans. Only.
KJ604 likes this.

Hers: 2005 Liberty V6/6spd/NV242J/3.55... ~3" lift (Teraflex + KK forks + " cradle drop), RRO arms, No-Slip (front), 245/75R16s, 250,000km
Mine: 1993 W250 ClubCab Cummins/5spd/HX35/3" lift/35" tires/Lockright/extra smoke/more noise/371,000km
u2slow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon or a 2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2..
Best advise= test drive both of them (not 15 minutes either) and form a decision based on comfort firstly, convenience/options/fuel mileage.
Dealerships here may allow you take em home for a day and then u really get a chance to see which one may suit you better.
profdlp and KJ604 like this.

Need A Push?
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

As said, spend time behind the wheel of both to see which one feels better to you. Weigh your priorities. Do you need a truck? Will hooking a trailer up be fine with you if you need to haul bigger loads? Do you have a trailer?

Now, as far as the Rubicon, are you going to take it offroad? Do you need the lockers? Disconnecting sway bar? Lower transfer case gearing? If not, save the cash and get a "lower" model. There is no point to spending money on the offroad bits that'll never get used. You could take that savings and put it towards bumpers, sliders, wheels/tires, lift, whatever to achieve the look you like.

Ultimately it's your $$$ and you can spend it how you like. Both have their +/- but it comes down to what you and your needs prefer.
LibertyTC, ltd02 and KJ604 like this.

kejobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Administrator

Originally Posted by kejobe View Post
As said, spend time behind the wheel of both to see which one feels better to you. Weigh your priorities. Do you need a truck? Will hooking a trailer up be fine with you if you need to haul bigger loads? Do you have a trailer?

Now, as far as the Rubicon, are you going to take it offroad? Do you need the lockers? Disconnecting sway bar? Lower transfer case gearing? If not, save the cash and get a "lower" model. There is no point to spending money on the offroad bits that'll never get used. You could take that savings and put it towards bumpers, sliders, wheels/tires, lift, whatever to achieve the look you like.

Ultimately it's your $$$ and you can spend it how you like. Both have their +/- but it comes down to what you and your needs prefer.

^this......... I especially like the thoughts in the highlighted area.

But in the end, you need to get what is best for you. Also, you need a good test drive as mentioned by LibertyTC.

Dave
KJ604 likes this.

Need More Stuff..

Become a Supporting Member
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/payments.php
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

A Rubicon...or...a Colorado. hmmmmm

Pretty nice either way you go but the Rubi would be mine after the deliberation. No IFS, solid axle, lockers...perfect for trail riding and travel. Get the Rubi.
KJ604 likes this.

FLOWMASTER Super 44
2.5" OME/Bilstein lift
245/75/16 Dick Cepek Trail Country All-Terrain tires.
Kenwood head unit with Bluetooth and MP3 USB.

|m| O|||||||O |m|
angelis_digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Two completely different vehicles , both 4x4 but from there out not even in the same class. Both have their pros and cons.
Like has been mentioned drive both, talk to other owners , and then decide what is best for you, no one on here or anywhere else can tell you which way to go.
For me , it would be neither one.
ltd02 and KJ604 like this.
04 Kilimanjaro Edition
4.5 INCH JBA LIFT/ 32s/4.10s/ etc
03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds bumper
05 Limited/stock for now
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Gold Supporter/Admin

2 door JK.

I do like the new Colorados and would probably take that over a 4 door JK.
96 XJ Country
It's better to have a winch and need it than to not have a winch and not need it
HoosierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote