Tensioner Pulley or Idler Pulley rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05KJDalton

Reaction score
yesterday i replaced my cooling fan. the whole assembly. while we had it out, we went ahead and replaced my serpentine belt. now when i first give it gas, at around 800-1100 rpm, there’s a rattle. i’ve narrowed it down to the area of eithe the tensioner pulley, or the idler pulley. could one or the other come loose while changing a belt? what could this possibly be. it stops once it’s above the previously stated threshold.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
How old is the tensioner assembly? They do wear out too. The new tighter belt may have been the last straw.

What fan did you change, the efan or the extra clutch fan? If you changed the clutch fan then maybe the new clutch is defective.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Chances are is the tensioner ( replace with pulleys ) never replace just pulleys . Both wear over time

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup & if both pulleys are the same diameter this is the way to go.
62008[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Both the dealer belt & the gates belt are EPDM, the best quality.

Attachments

• LGpzDzf.jpg
    LGpzDzf.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 0

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
x2, and get whichever brand tensioner your belt is for best length compatibility.

05KJDalton

Reaction score
How old is the tensioner assembly? They do wear out too. The new tighter belt may have been the last straw.

What fan did you change, the efan or the extra clutch fan? If you changed the clutch fan then maybe the new clutch is defective.

it’s the tensioner assembly that was on the jeep from factory. is something i need to do immediately or can it wait until i get paid?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
it’s the tensioner assembly that was on the jeep from factory. is something i need to do immediately or can it wait until i get paid?

Buddy waited...................
Called me at 3 AM sitting along the interstate , yes one pulley blew apart
70 mile run one way to repair him that night