Sylvania ZXE Headlight Bulbs-New?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The blues ...........................
why do they coat them blue anyways, just tricks your eyes into thinking you see better

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve used some of the upper end sylvania, don’t know if it was ZXE because they changed the name (extra vision?) and how they market it.
It supposed to be the brightest with best illumination Sylvania makes.
Well the difference between the regular bulbs and the ZXE was noticeable. Down side is there were complaints that these bulbs burn out sooner than ordinary bulbs. However this has not been my experience with them.
Been running these bulbs in my truck since 2013 and the commander since 2016. Do a lot of night driving with the truck too.

Looked up the order history and when I ordered the bulbs for the commander they were labeled silverstar ZXE 9006 & 9005xs. Definitely would buy them again just keep in mind they might burn out prematurely compared to the regular bulb but I feel it was worth it for the convenience of brighter/better light without modifying the headlights to HID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried them in my old Grand Prix and they were horrible, but then again, those housings couldn’t project any light but an HID so that’s not really a good comparison
All I can say about them is I bought them for my woman about 4 years ago and they’re still working fine
I wouldn’t say they’re the best out there, especially for the price, but over stock they’re much better obviously
They have no blue hue to them at all either, they’re pure white

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
STILL SOLD ON THE PHILLIPS EXTREMES
if they are good enough for Daniel Stern it works for me

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
HJ you do realize the brightness /intensity it lost over time...Maybe time for new ones?
Apparently manufacturers put a blue coating on the bulb to make the beam as white as possible.
As long as this doesn’t push the color temperature up past 4200K, it is road legal. (they don't want similarities with emergency vehicles blue lights)
The Sylvania ZXE does have a light blue & minimal coating, and do project as pure white.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running them for about 3-4 years IIRC, bought 2 or 3 extra sets from wal-mart when they were on clearance for $9 a pair. they are a white light, no blue tint to the light. they have worked fine for me.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
HJ you do realize the brightness /intensity it lost over time...Maybe time for new ones?
Apparently manufacturers put a blue coating on the bulb to make the beam as white as possible.
As long as this doesn’t push the color temperature up past 4200K, it is road legal. (they don't want similarities with emergency vehicles blue lights)
The Sylvania ZXE does have a light blue & minimal coating, and do project as pure white.

The KJ headlights are still brighter than the KL headlights :happy175:

Maybe I'll swap them out someday.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought some new ZXE bulbs for the sedan today. I began installation by only installing 1 bulb for passenger side & then turned on the headlights.
It was rather obvious the new bulb was way, way brighter than the 5 year old PIAA !
So I am convinced that the old bulbs had suffered a major loss of brightness/intensity.
With 2 new ZXE bulbs, it was rather obvious they are bright and nice and white.
It is great to have restored brightness, instead of wondering if my headlights were on.
These Xenon filled bulbs are :waytogo:

Latest posts

Members online