Switch the rear diff Chrysler 8.25 by DANA 35 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pivert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question about the rear differential on my KJ. The goal is to have a gear ratio equal to 4:11 and I found a complete rear differential with this ratio but it's a DANA 35 and not a Chrysler 8.25 as actually.

Do you think it's a good idea ?

Thank you for your help.
Ludo

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll have a weaker rear differential with the 35. It most likely has drum brakes. Which you should be able to convert your dusk to with a little work. If your 4wd. You'll need the front as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

pivert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the goal is to replace both differential (front by DANA 30 and rear by DANA 35, both with ratio equal to 4:11).

Actually, I'm already with drum brakes. I'm just scared of having problems with the DANA 35.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't say you'd have problems with it, as a lot of XJs have it too. But I'd rather just swap gears in the 8.25" one.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may actually find more available parts for the Dana 35, due to it being used in many applications and different vehicles.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You all are jumping to conclusions about strength. The 35 can be just fine depending on how he intends to use it. So...
Pivert: what do you use your KJ for? Offroad? Is it lifted with larger tires? Towing? If yes to those. You might not want the 35. If no. Then the dana 35 would be just fine for normal daily driver use.

Even then I have wheeled and towed with a 92 XJ that was sporting the dana 35 for 100,000 miles (of my owner ship, it has 275,000 overall) and no issues with that axle.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hate 35s , would not do it, but some say its fine, choose your poison.

Dana 30a in the front

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You all are jumping to conclusions about strength. The 35 can be just fine depending on how he intends to use it. So...
Pivert: what do you use your KJ for? Offroad? Is it lifted with larger tires? Towing? If yes to those. You might not want the 35. If no. Then the dana 35 would be just fine for normal daily driver use.

Even then I have wheeled and towed with a 92 XJ that was sporting the dana 35 for 100,000 miles (of my owner ship, it has 275,000 overall) and no issues with that axle.

True, but honestly, if all one is doing is daily driving the KJ with no off roading, no hauling/towing, nothing heavy duty other than just going from A to B on paved maintained roads, there is nothing wrong with the Corporate 8.25 axle either.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may actually find more available parts for the Dana 35, due to it being used in many applications and different vehicles.
The D35 that came with very early '02 KJ's(4 ****** gas only) is a bastard version and very weak due to the alterations to make the speed sensor work.No regular D35 parts work on it,not even the gear set.

The D35 is very weak,pathetically weak under a 3200lbs XJ or TJ.Now add 800-1000LBs+ the KJ weighs over both of those.

Better bring some spare axle shafts.

pivert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses.

I use my KJ mainly in offroad with big tire (245/75R16), rockslider, winch, skid plate, .... so much heavier.

The main issue is that in France, the gear kit on 4:10 for a Chrysler 8.25" is really rare and very expensive.

Someone would agree to send me equipment from the USA to my house?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses.

I use my KJ mainly in offroad with big tire (245/75R16), rockslider, winch, skid plate, .... so much heavier.

The main issue is that in France, the gear kit on 4:10 for a Chrysler 8.25" is really rare and very expensive.

Someone would agree to send me equipment from the USA to my house?

Go to the dealership,they can get the gears easily.

pivert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but for lot of money :Insane:

And here, the dealership is FIAT group who does not know JEEP...

The goal to switch for DANA 35 is also to use a PowerTrax because it isn"t compatible with current Chrysler 8.25" with limited slip box.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

The goal to switch for DANA 35 is also to use a PowerTrax because it isn"t compatible with current Chrysler 8.25" with limited slip box.

Cheap is expensive

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My guess is FIAT does not know DODGE either :emotions34:

There's a powertrax no-slip for the trac-lok case... 92-0382-2925

Another route is to find an open diff case for the 8.25". If you get a pre-05 one, it'll have 3/8" bolt holes and you can run a more common/standard r&p rather than the dual-drilled (3/8 & 10mm) Nitro gear set. Rockauto also has gears and ships internationally.

Latest posts

Members online