Sticking valves 03 3.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason9

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Recently replaced my spark plugs and CV heads on front drive shaft but now the 100,000mi woes continue... My check engine light started flashing and i was having misfires left and right. Compression tested cylinder 1 and absolutely nothing, I stopped looking right there. Now I'm trying to decide how to approach this, my buddy suggested seafoam to free up the sticking valves but would that be enough to free them up? My next option would to be to drop the head and take it to a machine shop. If anyone knows how much that would be or any information that would be great. Unfortunately, we are getting way above my "know-how" and I'm in college so i don't have much time.

Thanks

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to pull the valve cover at least and see what's going on under there. What your describing sounds a lot like the symptoms of a dropped valve seat, not letting the valve close. Not sure if this can be fixed without removing the head, I would think not though.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes get the effected side of valve cover off.
It may even be that it spit a rocker off..that can be replaced...
3.7 & 4.7 have this wonderful design.
The problem also can be the lifter, as there is a spring inside that can stick...that can then throw the rocker off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st1AoYfTPlY
What oil have you been using in your Jeep?

Jason9

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Sorry it took so long to update you but moral of the story some mechanics shops just flat out suck. I managed to get my jeep back home after they told me my valves were sticking and i had no compression in cylinder 1 and 3. I met my pops at a local mechanics shop and long story short all i had to do is replace two bad ignition coils. Compression was fine.
Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Members online