steering wheel peeling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knotwerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was a little pissed the other day and just GRIPPED my steering wheel tightly and this morning when i got in the jeep the point where i put my hand when driving has begun to peel!... has anyone else had this problem... is there something i can coat it with or has anyone ever just bought a new steering wheel?

... the jeep is immaculate so i know this is gonna make me crazy!

thanks

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is peeling too. We discussed this before, unless it is very premature like 6000 miles or something like that, DC won't do anything about it. They will call it wear and tear. Depends on amount of peelage, too. Mine is only leaving some black residue on my hand like tiny pieces of leather fractions on hot weather and anytime my hands are sweaty.

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyones will peel, its a flaw of the material. I got a steering wheel cover with the raised ridges. Its very comfortable, matches the plastic texture perfectly, and even looks better (more rugged.) You should check it out.

Its just like this, at Autozone, but black
You must be registered for see images

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My steering wheel is leather.. I wouldn't cover it up with that kinda taxicab plastic. No offense.
I considered replacing the wheel altogether.. If it peels into no-man's land, I am just swapping the wheel.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My steering wheel is leather.. I wouldn't cover it up with that kinda taxicab plastic. No offense.
I considered replacing the wheel altogether.. If it peels into no-man's land, I am just swapping the wheel.

Don't forget to disconnect the battery before you work around the steering wheel/airbag area.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, don't wanna get Airbag-busted.. I had a good instruction somewhere on this forum, but backed out, waiting for it to peel more. It is not that bad now..

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? You gonna take your wheel with you when you lock? :)
I love those wheels, but lack of airbag scares me.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyones will peel, its a flaw of the material. I got a steering wheel cover with the raised ridges. Its very comfortable, matches the plastic texture perfectly, and even looks better (more rugged.) You should check it out.

Its just like this, at Autozone, but black
You must be registered for see images
Not true,my '02 steering wheel has no hint what so ever of peeling,just guess I got lucky that my KJ has had almost zero problems with it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine looks like new with 27k on the Jeep. I keep Meguiars Gold Class Leather conditioner on it. I usually put it on when I know I wont be driving it for a while(day or two) to give it time to soak in. Then Ill wipe off the excess so the wheel wont be so slick.. I usually do not need to wipe it back off though.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try www.wheelskins.com I had one on my Prix for quite a while. I had a dual-color one - graphite and grey. The grey finally wore away after about 50,000 miles and 4 years due to my rings - it just showed the black through the grey. Very nice, if my wheel peels I'll be getting one. Also, this stitches on, it's not a cheesy slip cover.

I think the cheapest place I had found them was www.pfyc.com. Sure, it's a GM site, but the wheelskins are universal, so they might be able to get it. They are like $40 or so for a dual color, so if it lasts 4 years I'll gladly buy another one for $40. Much cheaper than a new wheel, and the steering wheel sees a lot of wear. Replace it in 4 years, and for $40 it'd look new again. I think the all black one would last just about forever.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why? You gonna take your wheel with you when you lock? :)
I love those wheels, but lack of airbag scares me.

If you're going to replace the steering wheel, why not replace it with something nicer looking then that bulky stock wheel. I really don't mind not having an air bag, I'm more concerned about my cruise control switches....maybe you can relocate them some where else.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going to replace the steering wheel, why not replace it with something nicer looking then that bulky stock wheel. I really don't mind not having an air bag, I'm more concerned about my cruise control switches....maybe you can relocate them some where else.

uhhh? :rolleyes:

sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is pealing and I am pissed, cheap fake leather. only 14k

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine started feeling weird after I bought it (used 02) but since then I've used first, Armor All and now Meguire's leather dressing and as long as I don't let the wheel really dry out it feels fine.

When I first noticed it I was doing one of those single-handed, tight-turn thingys where your palm rotates on the wheel. If you put a lot of pressure on the wheel while doing it you will wear it down.

I'm willing to bet most of the wheel wear described here is from that type of turning.

Last edited: