steering rack issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello.

After an amazing year with my kj it's service time. I told the shop i have a bad noise from my driver's side wheel on the front when i go over bumps. 2 months ago i replaced EVERY bushing on the front. so that is not the problem. both CV's are fine.

they diagnosed it as a bad steering rack that needs a rebuild- sure,no problem. BUT they said a rebuild will not last long because the steering rack is working under a lot of stress because of my lift. they showed me a standard KJ that came in for a service: while that kj had it's tie rods level and nice-mine are at a steep angle. and according to the shop THAT causes a stress that wrecked my steering rack. and causes noise.

So i am going to replace the steering rack obviously-but JBA does not have a solution yet (emailed marlin, what a great guy).

any ideas?

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, all we can do is rebuild or replace it when it goes bad. I believe there is no upgrade. Though I may be wrong, have been before.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Stock replacement only.

I haven't heard of any issues due to the lift...I had replace mine at 160k miles.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see it putting a lot of stress on the outer tie rod ends.. but the rack itself? I suppose. You say you replaced all bushings, does that include the steering rack mounting bushings too?

If it were me, I'd get a second opinion, just to confirm. Perhaps it's just the inner and/or outer tie rod ends that are worn.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I still don't see how lift affects the steering rack at all. The tie rods take all the angle, and at the connection of the inner tie rod to the rack, it makes no difference. You could hold the tie rod at any angle you'd want and the rack wouldn't notice, it's all the in inner tie rod. The only things that I can see as negatives for the rack is big tires (no evidence that hurts in a real way) and there have been a few reports of the rack breaking free from the mounts.

If you have noises when going over bumps and they think it's from the steering rack and not tie rods, then the bushings are shot (the tie rod pulls the rack up if it's not mounted solidly) or one of the mounts is damaged. Does yours do this at all at low speeds?
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=aqS-pA1QeF8

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still don't see how lift affects the steering rack at all. The tie rods take all the angle, and at the connection of the inner tie rod to the rack, it makes no difference. You could hold the tie rod at any angle you'd want and the rack wouldn't notice, it's all the in inner tie rod. The only things that I can see as negatives for the rack is big tires (no evidence that hurts in a real way) and there have been a few reports of the rack breaking free from the mounts.

If you have noises when going over bumps and they think it's from the steering rack and not tie rods, then the bushings are shot (the tie rod pulls the rack up if it's not mounted solidly) or one of the mounts is damaged. Does yours do this at all at low speeds?
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=aqS-pA1QeF8

Lifted will place both the inner and outer tie rod ends and a more extreme angle wearing the rack seals faster and placing alot more stress on the mounts since when your turning the wheel some of that movement is transferred as a up/down motion and not a side to side motion.

The "rack" inside the R&P has no real support besides the housing and that up/down movement wears the inside of the housing causing the seals to leak faster.

Bigger,and heavier, wheels/tires only compound the issue when the tie rod ends are not level and why you see all those lift kits(not spacer lifts) for 1/2 ton pickups with IFS use drop brackets to lower the cradle/R&P to keep the tie rod ends level.

Docnoisewater

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. I replaced the R&P and noticed some clunking when I was steering, I thought it needed to be tightened down more and did that, but it is being pulled and the new bushings are getting worked, that's how I blew out the old ones I guess.

My mechanic said basically the same thing, the angle is causing more stress. This has to be more common among the lifted libertys.

So if I read correctly, dropping it down to level it out is the only option?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Napa reman rack blew recently...1.5 years/15000 miles later. I'm not even lifted much (about 2"). Reading reviews it seems like the reman ones from parts stores are crap, all Cardone made and they just repaint them basically. So if you have a reman one, it might be just that, it's crap anyway and the lift might not have had much to do with it. Next one will be a Jorgen's.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Napa reman rack blew recently...1.5 years/15000 miles later. I'm not even lifted much (about 2"). Reading reviews it seems like the reman ones from parts stores are crap, all Cardone made and they just repaint them basically. So if you have a reman one, it might be just that, it's crap anyway and the lift might not have had much to do with it. Next one will be a Jorgen's.

215$ with a 125$ core for jorgens worth it ?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Probably, the Napa one was about the same price IIRC. Or more. They get good reviews on BITOG.

Latest posts

Members online