Steel Front Diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing out my stock Aluminum diff with JBA's new Steel D30. This one's built with 4.10's and an ARB air locker.

You must be registered for see images

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it just me, or should the fillport on that diffy be up higher... If it is a steel diff modeled after the D30A (we'll call it the D30S :D ) then isn't the fill level (bottom of fillhole) higher so that the passenger axletube has some gear lube in it to lubricate the outmost bearing in there?

Just an observation from a passerby...

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new fill is at the same height as the original fill hole (on the right). This is the center section from a D30S.

Thats kinda my point exactly. I'm pretty sure the fluid fill levels are different for the D30A you find in all KJ's compared to a Dana 30 front axle found in Jeep YJ/TJ/XJ/...and the list goes on and on and on... lol.

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats kinda my point exactly. I'm pretty sure the fluid fill levels are different for the D30A you find in all KJ's compared to a Dana 30 front axle found in Jeep YJ/TJ/XJ/...and the list goes on and on and on... lol.

Not quite getting your point. are you saying the the fluid level for a straight axle d30 not adequate if its re-purposed? The intermediate axle comes in at the same level as the full axle. The axle tube is exactly the same, just shorter. If the bearings were adequately lubed 2 ft farther out why wouldn't they be adequately lubed if they are little closer?

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That is quite the investment, looks bullet proof icon996.gif
You will drive.gif in strong style now!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
On one hand...2200 for a custom steel diff housing, ARB or OX locker installed, all ya gotta do is put it together...

On the other hand...
That's 11 used aluminum front diffs.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
TBJ, I think this unit came assembled with gears and Arb Air locker, $3200+ shipping aprox.
I want to hear how it perform$.

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its in! drives great, smooth and quiet. Now need to put some break-in miles on it.

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VERRRY COOL!:cool:
=P~
I saw the thing on their site and wondered how many more trillion bucks it wud add to get it across the Pacific to Australia.
Oh well----I can dream.
Cheers
Auberon

Latest posts

Members online