Starter Motor Replacement Questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burro II

Reaction score
122,000 miles and the starter motor is working fine...today. But from all I can tell it is original.

But I don't think Jeep/DC were known for making parts that last forever. So I am planning ahead here and want to put one on my parts shelf for that day.

Replacement metric is quality, not cheap price. What are your suggestions?

And tell me, is it the PITA to replace that a quick glance seems to indicate?

What is your experience on this matter?

Thanks Much

BII

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
122,000 is just beginning its life
All 3 of mine are over that , 04 over 235,000, and no starter issues
Not the easiest to change but not hard , just takes some time

But if buying one just to have , check it out good first
Buddy bought one years ago for his XJ, sat on the shelf 5-6 years, (new Mopar starter )
Finally killed his with mud, so put the new one on, wouldn't even turn over:roflsquared:

I stock pile a lot of parts, but never go looking for things to replace someday due to it once happened on another model

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean if the part is free, and you have somewhere to store it, then it beats throwing it away or recycling it.

But if you have to spend money to get the part just to sit it on your shelf for someday, then you will be better off sticking that same money in a savings account and letting it generate interest for you while you wait for someday to get here.

After all, in 3 months you may need that money when something else does fail and now you cannot drive for that reason.

Burro II

Reaction score
I mean if the part is free, and you have somewhere to store it, then it beats throwing it away or recycling it.

But if you have to spend money to get the part just to sit it on your shelf for someday, then you will be better off sticking that same money in a savings account and letting it generate interest for you while you wait for someday to get here.

After all, in 3 months you may need that money when something else does fail and now you cannot drive for that reason.

I understand what you are saying, but I live in a place where I cannot readily get parts without a long drive or delivery delay. Just easier for to have one on hand.

The money is not the issue in this case. But in days past, yes....

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, but I live in a place where I cannot readily get parts without a long drive or delivery delay. Just easier for to have one on hand.

The money is not the issue in this case. But in days past, yes....

IMO if Money is not an issue, just put the new one in and put the old one on the shelf!