spark plug location...???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought some spark plugs (bosch platinum) from autozone and the guy said he did not know where the plugs were located. anyone have any pictures of where they are? I checked the how-to and i show me how to remove/install them but not where they are located...any help??

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

The plugs have individual coils and on the 3.7L are located on top of the heads. If your manual tells you how to remove them then this should help you locate them. I'll try to get some more photos soon; my Lib has 28K on the clock and I am planning on changing them whenI get back from a trip to Albuquerque.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not being negative, but if you really need to ask, it's most likely a task you should not be undertaking. The difficulty level on a Jeep 3.7L is a little tough; not having the correct tools can make it even more of a task.
Greg

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Actually I was kinda wondering this myself, since I haven't changed them yet since I got the Jeep. I mean it can't be that overly difficult- its just a matter of taking your time and yes, having proper tools. I'll look into the service manual to see if I can figure out what would be required to accomplish the task as far as tools and general complexity of the task.

Bennett

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed them in my wife's '02 KJ last December....going off memory, I believe the removal of the coolant overflow tank makes things much easier; a swivel socket adaptor also comes in handy for the back spark plug on the driver's side.
Greg

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gsbrockman said:
Not being negative, but if you really need to ask, it's most likely a task you should not be undertaking. The difficulty level on a Jeep 3.7L is a little tough; not having the correct tools can make it even more of a task.
Greg

You know what.... I already changed mine last week!! \:D/

Bennett said:
Actually I was kinda wondering this myself, since I haven't changed them yet since I got the Jeep. I mean it can't be that overly difficult- its just a matter of taking your time and yes, having proper tools. I'll look into the service manual to see if I can figure out what would be required to accomplish the task as far as tools and general complexity of the task.

There are three seperate coils on each side of the engine. You remove the screws that hold them in and the sensor. Once that is done, pull and twist (need to be agressive) on the coils. This reveals the spark plugs. You will need a 5/8" spark plug socket (got mine @ autozone for 3.99). Repeat for all the coils. The toughest one is the last one on the passenger side. I went with the bosch platinum spark plugs.

Boaz

Reaction score
At what mileage does jeep recommend spark plug replacement? WHat plugs are in it from the factory?

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepkj02 said:
I went with the bosch platinum spark plugs.

Great choice on the spark plugs...that's what went in my wife's '02 last December. Given the above average degree of difficulty, I opted to go with some that would last in excess of 30k before replacement would be needed again. I'm spark plug*free on the '05 now.
Greg

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boaz said:
At what mileage does jeep recommend spark plug replacement? WHat plugs are in it from the factory?

a) 30k miles.
b) My '02 had NGK's in it....somewhat strange I thought...most OEM Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep's had Champions in them.
Greg