Spare Tire Mount Weight Limit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Quick question. Does anyone know the weight limit on the stock tire carrier? I'm slated to have the 265/70/16 Load Range D tire on it along with 3 bikes. Does anyone think I'll have a problem? I think i'm going to get straps and support the wheels by tying them to the roof rack...but just wondering what people know about the capacity.

Thanks!!!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Quick question. Does anyone know the weight limit on the stock tire carrier? I'm slated to have the 265/70/16 Load Range D tire on it along with 3 bikes. Does anyone think I'll have a problem? I think i'm going to get straps and support the wheels by tying them to the roof rack...but just wondering what people know about the capacity.

Thanks!!!

When you get to that size tire, with the addition of the bikes then you'll start having issues with the door. Sitting in the driveway you maybe fine, but going down the roads etc you're going to be hearing some strange noises coming from back there . Why not use a bike rack that goes into the hitch, that way no extra weight is on the gate?

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall the max weight limit is like 50lbs,it's not much but considering the heaviest tire/wheel combo that came on a KJ is around 45lbs.

yea! page 211 on my owners manual

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you get to that size tire, with the addition of the bikes then you'll start having issues with the door. Sitting in the driveway you maybe fine, but going down the roads etc you're going to be hearing some strange noises coming from back there . Why not use a bike rack that goes into the hitch, that way no extra weight is on the gate?

Because the hitch is taken up with a waverunner. :blah:

Guess i'm just gonna have to ratchet strap to the roof to take the weight off the spare carrier.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I saw a bike carrier somewhere where attachment was like a hitch extender. You popped the bike carrier into your receiver, then whatever you're towing into the bike carrier.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the weight limit on the stock tire carrier?
IDK but one thing is for sure.....
57049[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

This is definitely overweight and about to bend the hinges!:gr_grin:

Attachments

• TailGate%20Weight%20Limit.jpg
    TailGate%20Weight%20Limit.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up doing it. Took her for a spin and no noises. I have straps running from the first bike back to the roof rack to give it a little bit of support and lift. It's sturdy as can be. I know I'm overloading it. Thanks for the info all. Just wanted to know what I was getting into.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score

etrailer has these. clearance of the spare tire might make it interesting though. I've never tried one. I've thought about one but, I'd probably wind up making my own as you'd really want to start off with a really long draw bar to clear the spare tire. since you're only pulling a wave runner you could most likely get away with it though.

you might need one of these as well...

and I'd definitely recommend a couple of these...

to take up all the play and rattling it would create.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online