So when are one of you guys gonna drop one of these in a KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samsolo49

Reaction score
The Italian boat anchor that came in a KJ is not worth the effort.

$5000-$7000 for one of those and then you will need another $5000 in mods to make it live much past 100,000 miles without self destructing.
They aren't that bad are they?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They aren't that bad are they?

Go over on LOST and poke around the CRD section.

You really think it would take that kind of $$ to get it working? I'm guessing you think it would need a complete drivetrain replacement.

You'd need the 45RFE/545RFE trans at minimum set up for a diesel,$2000-$3000 right there.

Different driveshafts and suspension to hold the extra weight,another $2000-$3000 right there.

You'd need to mod the cradle to fit the Diesel,may need the CRD version which means different CV axles and you need the whole front clip from a '05/'06 CRD(radiator,intercooler,and all that) so that is another $2000-$3000 depending on how much you'd need to mod the cradle.

Then finally you will need to find some automotive electronics expert to get the BCM and all the rest of the KJ's electronics work with the supplied PCM for that engine,cost = $ unkown but will not be cheap.

Yeah you could have $20,000+ before it runs and functions correctly.

Samsolo49

Reaction score
Go over on LOST and poke around the CRD section.

You'd need the 45RFE/545RFE trans at minimum set up for a diesel,$2000-$3000 right there.

Different driveshafts and suspension to hold the extra weight,another $2000-$3000 right there.

You'd need to mod the cradle to fit the Diesel,may need the CRD version which means different CV axles and you need the whole front clip from a '05/'06 CRD(radiator,intercooler,and all that) so that is another $2000-$3000 depending on how much you'd need to mod the cradle.

Then finally you will need to find some automotive electronics expert to get the BCM and all the rest of the KJ's electronics work with the supplied PCM for that engine,cost = $ unkown but will not be cheap.

Yeah you could have $20,000+ before it runs and functions correctly.
Be cheaper to rebuild a crd Libby

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not worth the hassle for only ~165hp ~270tq.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been drooling over the R2.8. A fantastic engine for sure. It'd be cheaper to buy engine outright, find a junked TJ or YJ, and slam it in there. They make kits to swap the cummins straight into them, obvious choice.

Also it's capable of this, I present to y'all TUBE SOCK!!