Rusty Undercarriage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that I'm getting some rust build-up on my 2006 already as seen in my air-lift install picture below. Does anybody paint their undercarriage/suspension parts to keep the rust under control. I'm sure the Minnesota road salt has contributed to this rust.

You must be registered for see images attach

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear end and springs normally develop surface rust over the course of time.

If you want to brush on some flat black paint, feel free. Just know that the rust will resurface in a couple months and you will be painting again.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The amount of rust that you have on the axle is pretty normal, its just surface rust.

Personally I removed the entire rear suspension and painted it with 3 coats of paint. Going on 2 years and it still looks pretty good. :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I paint mine every spring and fall ( pretty much everything underneath ) still looks pretty good after 120,000 miles underneath no rust showing

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paint mine every spring and fall ( pretty much everything underneath ) still looks pretty good after 120,000 miles underneath no rust showing

What all prep work do you do before painting the undercarriage. I'd like to paint mine this summer.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
The undercarriage is not the SUSPENSION. Your undercarriage looks fine in your pic, unless you want to show more of it. I see your rear axle has some rust on it, the exhaust... These Jeeps use 100% Galvanized Steel for the body and undercarriage, the suspension components do not.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO
complete waste of time
these are not moving parts
no one can see them
the little bit of rust that either of my Jeeps has is so minor that I would just as soon spray
some WD40 on it and call it a day
but on the TJ when I busted my trans line and the oil got all over it is nice and shiny

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I touch everything up with rust olem every few weeks.....

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Why not just brush or spray Rhino-Liner on it? Just take care on the diff cover, and other sensitive parts. Should last 5-10 years, and any rust won't come out of the liner, it's a coating that lasts. $99.00 for the stuff...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no one can see them

I see it all the time and thats all that matters. I couldnt care less what other people think. :)

Some sort of spray on liner or roll on would be ok but I didnt want it on the rear axle(heat). Our ZJ and XJ actually came with something similar to rhino liner on the under body. Cost cuts! :rolleyes:

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
spray it with oil or make your own waxoyl, keep giving it treatments.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking a can of POR15 then something over the top of it after it's settled.

Latest posts