Rumble Strip noise in 4wd FT in 03 Liberty Renegade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a 2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade with 122k on the clock. We've had some heavy rain recently, so I decided to exercise the Full Time 4WD as I usually keep it in 2wd. Since the switch is bad, it doesn't tell me what I'm in, but I have the lever in the 3rd detent, which is 4WD Full Time.

When going ~40mph+, out of nowhere, it will sound like I'm going over a rumble strip for maybe 1-2 seconds, but there are no rumble strips on the roads I am on. There's no noticeable vibration in the vehicle and the vehicle stays straight on the road. It sounds like it's on the passenger side of the vehicle. It's very transient and on my 15 mile journey to work, I only heard it like 4 times. It happened again today. I wish I had a dash cam so I could record it to let people listen. I saw some threads on here, but they were all different year Libertys.

I have a 2 month powertrain warranty on it from the dealer and I'd like some opinions as to what it could be so maybe they can look at it before the warranty runs out in 1.25 months. I'm already bringing it in for a 02 sensor, and to look at the e-brake because it's useless, but was noted on the pre-sale mechanics inspection but never fixed.

Thanks for listening.

KJCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That rumble strip sound is most likely a worn u-joint in a driveshaft. Probably your rear, most likely.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Check U joints and the rear CV on the front driveshaft. Otherwise, maybe have the dealer scan the transmission to get the torque converter clutch value index. Mine had that vibration for years and didn't think much of it, but after getting the trans rebuilt a year and half ago, I haven't felt it since. My torque converter was shot. Does it vibrate as the TC locks up and RPMs drop? If not, then it's probably Ujoints or the rear CV on the front driveshaft.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably not the case, but the wife had a very similar situation on her BMW years ago. Sounded just like she was going over a rumble strip. Only happened once in a blue moon. I would have never thought about it, but it ended up being a bad anti lock sensor in a rear wheel. The pulsating of the brakes made it sound just like the vehicle was going over a rumble strip.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should also note that I have a strong suspicion that when I test drove it, I was actually in Part Time 4WD when the cluster said Full Time due to the bad switch and my not being familiar with the vehicle. I worry that when the dealership drove it to get serviced and if anyone else test drove it, it might have been in Part Time 4 and they thought it was in full time. There was ~200 miles difference in the mileage it was listed as and what it was when I signed the papers.

Also, last night I got a new Check Engine Light. My reader says it's

P0837:
Four Wheel Drive (4WD) Switch Circuit Range/Performance

Last edited:

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should also note that I have a strong suspicion that when I test drove it, I was actually in Part Time 4WD when the cluster said Full Time due to the bad switch and my not being familiar with the vehicle. I worry that when the dealership drove it to get serviced and if anyone else test drove it, it might have been in Part Time 4 and they thought it was in full time. There was ~200 miles difference in the mileage it was listed as and what it was when I signed the papers.
The front and rear diffs are open so only way you'd need to worry about it binding up in 4wd is the transfercase and when they fail its usually in a catastrophic way.

Nightpath

Reaction score
My vote is a ujoint as well. The bind up and usually at a lower RPM provide enough resistance to cause the rumble. If you can find the exact RPM and speed it'll feel like it's constant and gets stronger and weaker in waves.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK all, I managed to catch the noise one time today on video, though it happened a lot. I still had it in 4WD Full from driving home yesterday, but there was a NorEaster, so I couldn't drive that fast yesterday. Today was clearer, so I could go faster.

The noise seems to happen between 40-50mph and at 1.5-2k RPM every time I heard it. I captured this one when I took off from a stoplight before I got coffee(which is why I didn't video further).

You can hear it in the video at ~5 seconds in. It's more rattly in the video, and more rumbly in real life. I asked the service guy about it on Monday, but he just seemed to dismiss it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTti8Q0aUTA

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Seems like a torque converter issue to me, sadly. It happens right after the RPM drop as the TC locks up. What's the CEL on for? See if it has a PO700. Do the key trick.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the CEL on for? .

O2 sensor bank 2. P0138 and P0139. High voltage and slow response. Came on last night on the way home in the snow. Had someone pulls the codes this morning on the way to work while it was running and the light cleared itself on the way home tonight. I also have my own OBDII reader and P0138 has been pending since the day I bought it.

Seems like a torque converter issue to me, sadly. It happens right after the RPM drop as the TC locks up.

Any way to nail it down if it is? Is it really bad if it is?!?

Also, not sure if you noticed in the video, but I seem to have a ~200rpm surge. Could that be a symptom/is it normal? I had chalked it up to me being super paranoid, but I can see it happening on the video, so maybe it's not all in my head.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That sounds like a TC issue to me. Have the shop read the CVI (clutch value index) of the TC clutch.

Nightpath

Reaction score
I believe it could be the rear upper control arm as well. Mine is beat out badly, I'll be replacing it in a few days and will check my vibration.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a TC issue to me. Have the shop read the CVI (clutch value index) of the TC clutch.

Here's a video I took tonight of me going up a small hill on my way home(LINK)
. You can really see the surging, even though I had my foot kind of wedged against the side of the console to keep it steady.

Here is the road I was on(547/Shafto/Wyckoff Rd). I started from the light behind this view(Hope Rd) and when I go to stop that was at Tornillo Way, about 3200 ft travelled (LINK)

I'm trying to get to my old mechanic Monday and will pass along everyone's ideas and maybe have something concrete to bring to the dealer.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a similar issue I'm having. And I'm also assuming it's the Torque Converter. Torque Converter can't seem to unlock when it needs to sometimes. Usually around 55-60 for me which is no good.

Lengthen the amount of time you get by with the issue by turning overdrive off under 50.

gjeff80

Reaction score
Have you narrowed down what this is? I have an 05 liberty doing the same thing and it seems like the tourque converter shutter but am curious what you find.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brought the Jeep into my Dad's friends/my old mechanics shop. I used the trip to add some Techtron to the fill up because I'd be doing 50+ miles of highway. They sadly couldn't spare a lift that would let the wheels spin free(they didn't charge me anything, including the hour+ it was up on a regular lift), so I only have some things eliminated. Mechanic checked both the CV joints and the U joints. Both were tight and secure. The "boomerang" aka the Upper Rear Control Arm looked good compared to one they had just replaced on a Cherokee and pulled out to show me. Also told me the Front Shaft was replaced, so it was good as well.

Only faults he found(besides general rust. Suggested I take some Rust Reformer to things that are rusted now) were a oil leak from the Valve Cover, the e-brake looks like it's partially engaged, and the passenger rear lower control arm is down to the bushing.

They did fix the loose fairing on the drivers side, which was giving me a rubbing noise when I made right turns.

gjeff80

Reaction score
I have narrowed down mine to the torque converter shutter these are known for. I just picked up a used ****** from the junk yard and will toss it in this weekend. I used the Dr. ****** instant shudder fix and it went away for a week or two but slowly crept back.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know I'm really narrowing it down. I'm composing a email to send to the service advisor letting her know what the mechanics found and the video from this thread so she can pass it on to the shop guy. I still have a month left on my warranty.

Since it's snowing right now, I'll be in 4wd full tomorrow and I'll have my camera ready.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know why it does it predominately in 4 full time...mine was the same way.

Latest posts

Members online