Rola Roof Basket Arrived

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Rola roof basket is a beast. It was packaged inside a large cardboard box then another box as shown in photo was the main packaging. It looks like a 38lb beast. The powder coating probably will not stand up to my outside conditions, so I am going to use 2 cans of Spray Tremclad Clear coat, before install.
Look like Ryan and I have another Saturday night install ahead!:smokin:
38301[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• RolaBasketBars.jpg
    RolaBasketBars.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that looks pretty nice. Just 2 questions - about how deep is it and if you don't mind me asking about how much was it?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Sweet ... where did you order it from Tim? Oh and can I use it during the summer when your KJ is neglected ... oops I mean stored :D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Heck of a drive to borrow the rack there Luke..Stored? Not this summer...Come out here then we can all go camping!
Came From Rack Attack locally, had one in the warehouse $220.tax in.
It is not that deep maybe 5 inches http://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Cargo-Carrier/Rola/59504.htmlbut is slimline and looks great/very strong. Also has an extension available for it as well.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Very nice!

Not storing her this summer?!? It appears as though Socks has been a good influence on ya! :D

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that roof basket, TC. Don't forget a pic when you get it on.

----

Hi Luke. Glad to see you back the last couple of days.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Luke,HJ,Dave & Huntbuggy stayed tuned for the installation photo.. no worries.
Right now it is in the clear coat department.....going to seal the powder coat nicely.
Trying the New Tremclad "Satin" finish for this job. More suited to powder coated texture.
38304[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• BasketClearCoating.jpg
    BasketClearCoating.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Good stuff .. I can smell the fumes from here ... bzzzzzzzz

Oh and while I think of it ... that original PIAA bulb, now 26 months old is still kickin'. I just finished taking the housing apart on the headlight that ruined the other bulb with moisture. I thought it was going to be a real pain and that I was going to have to bake the sealant off. Luckily they did such a crappy sealing job at the factory that I was able to separate the housing with an exacto knife and some careful prying. I cleaned the inside, resealed the housing and it is now better than new.

Last edited:

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question for anyone that has a rola roof rack, or a roof rack of any make. I plan on purchasing a rola roof rack in the next few weeks (tax time), and i would like to know how everyone is mounting them to the rails, and as low as possible as well. I mean is everyone buying the cross bars or making thier own. Also by the way, nice looking libby, very sharp as well.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Th Rola Rack has it's own brackets that are universal clamp type to fit square, round, or factory Oem like the bars I installed. I am sure you can turn your own hand made bars so that they sit from the bottom of the Kj rails, so the mount sits low. If you do mount it low, it will be almost impossible to clean the roof under the bars and basket though.
I know my set up will not sit that low, but it is like a removable system. The cross bars can be left on 24-7 as for canoe, and the basket will sit on top of the bars. Once the original bars are spaced properly for the basket, the basket can be easily removed come winter to remove weight and drag when not in use. I can see simply leaving mine on, but until I test it on the highway for noise, not sure if it will be a permanent mount.
I do want to still be able to clean the roof below the bars and basket so mounting on top of the OEM bars will be best then.
Luke, glad to hear you are good to go again on the light seal.
Here are a few install clamps and Other Info photos.
38311[/ATTACH]"]

38313[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• RolaClamp.jpg
    RolaClamp.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 0
  • RolaSpaceBetweenBars.jpg
    RolaSpaceBetweenBars.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, i didn't even think about having to clean under it, that would be quite the pain, considering the snow we get here in NY. Looks like I'm going to look at some crossbar options.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Assembly Begins..

The Powder Coat is easily marked or scratched without the clear coating. Even though I used the Satin finish clear coat, only time will tell if this protects as well as the regular gloss clear coat. One thing is for sure, that for leaving this basket in outdoor conditions, it is now way better protected from the elements.
Instead of using the Tremclad spray another option would have been to pay $100 and taken it to a powder coating shop, that could have applied a real powder coat in clear, and baked it in.

Assembly should consist of using silicone with all the screws and where both sides of the two sections join, to better waterproof these seals, and prevent interior rusting.
38316[/ATTACH]"]

Even though the instructions show a canoe on top, I think they forgot something..
38318[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• RolaSilicone.jpg
    RolaSilicone.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 0
  • RolaCanoe.jpg
    RolaCanoe.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 0

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I hate seeing rack 6 inches above the roof, looks stupid to me, :shrug:like an afterthought, not part of the Jeep
Mount them as low as you can, the original one I had, the bottom of the rack was even with the rails only an inch or so between it and the roof in the middle
removal was like less than 5 minutes if I wanted to clean or wax under it

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Tom I agree it would be nice to have your cross bars mounted lower so the basket sits more flush to the roof line. That being said, I think that once the basket is mounted on the OEM cross bars, it still will be practical & look just fine!
Almost mounting time & Rockin .."Rola" rockon.gif
38333[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• RolaWindDeflector.jpg
    RolaWindDeflector.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 0

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love how you put pics for everything Tim, gives a good idea every step of your installs, and sprouts new ideas.

Agree with Tom I'd like to see if there's something (cheap) to get the crossbars low to the roof and have even a tall rack be low profile.

Saw this thread on jeepforum and hope there's somewhere in Canada I can find the fence clamp on tees...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/how-roof-rack-crossbars-cheap-849907/

Will start hunting at Rona, Lowes, HD or mebbe a fence place?

For a larger canoe or a jonboat am wondering if anyone has fabbed a support up front to mount under the hood forward of the windshield? Maybe not as far forward as the bumper but you know what I mean...