Road Trip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gc976

Reaction score
Hey all, I may be going driving from Charlotte to Denver and back during January/december. What are things that I would need to do/check before going on a trip like this? I drive a 2005 with about 116k miles on it.

Joenavy85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has the water pump failed yet? Mine failed around 108k, luckily I was close to home. Last time you changed spark plug? Oil change. Any CEL's pop up recently? Regular maintenance received? How do the lower ball joints look up front?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all, I may be going driving from Charlotte to Denver and back during January/december. What are things that I would need to do/check before going on a trip like this? I drive a 2005 with about 116k miles on it.

Thats a loaded question
Since we do not know if you've owned it since it was new , or what kind of maintenance it had over the years its hard to say.
I mean I've seen vehicles with 40,000 I would not trust going 20 miles, but then when my 04 ( that I bought new ) had over 200,000 miles I would take off and run to Florida from Ohio in it no issues

But make sure maintenance is all done, recent tuneup etc .
As far as water pumps etc go, at 235,000 miles the 04s still has the original on it no problems

Gc976

Reaction score
Thats a loaded question
Since we do not know if you've owned it since it was new , or what kind of maintenance it had over the years its hard to say.
I mean I've seen vehicles with 40,000 I would not trust going 20 miles, but then when my 04 ( that I bought new ) had over 200,000 miles I would take off and run to Florida from Ohio in it no issues

But make sure maintenance is all done, recent tuneup etc .
As far as water pumps etc go, at 235,000 miles the 04s still has the original on it no problems
I bought it used back in February from an older guy who bought it new. He had immaculate service records and even still had the original bill of sale as well as a business card from the dealership from 2004. Since I bought it I’ve taken care of it.

That’s about the most information that I can give.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an uncle who traveled all over the country back in the 70s. He would just make sure he had the title so when the POS he was driving broke down he could just buy a "new" POS... Brilliant.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I had an uncle who traveled all over the country back in the 70s. He would just make sure he had the title so when the POS he was driving broke down he could just buy a "new" POS... Brilliant.

Yep, but then also back then you could pick up a decent car for just a few hundred dollars. Heck I was buying 62-63 Chev Impalas 2 door hardtops for 250 - 350 and driving them home ( should of stock piled a bunch of them LOL)

Latest posts

Members online