Rivets for rear brake backing plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have rivet suggestions for the backing plates? Rebuilt my rear brake and found i need to redo the hardware holding the backing plate, is it possible to rivet it at least partially back without pulling my shafts?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There's a how to somewhere but for the life of me I can't think of the member.

Sorry...the one I was thinking of did involve pulling the axles.

Last edited:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing a parking brake how to, where I'm pretty sure the guy was able to replace these without pulling the axles.
But to me sounds like the perfect time to change out your differential fluid, pull the axles, check axle bearings, gears, parking brake shoes, etc.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reas on im asking for rivet advice that would work without pulling shafts is because I've done everything to the rear end this year already, opening the diff again now is last resort

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to open up the rear end to put the emergency brake parts on. You can simply work around the axle shaft to install the hardware. Just look up a picture of the emergency brake assembly on line or take a picture of what it looks like before you take it apart to replace it.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to open up the rear end to put the emergency brake parts on. You can simply work around the axle shaft to install the hardware. Just look up a picture of the emergency brake assembly on line or take a picture of what it looks like before you take it apart to replace it.
Im a little baffled, i know how to assemble /reassemble the parking brake, thats not the subject of the thread though

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im a little baffled, i know how to assemble /reassemble the parking brake, thats not the subject of the thread though

You're talking about the dust shield that the parking brake components connect to, yeah? I've seen replacements for those being sold, I believe that they came with bolts or some similar way of fastening it to the axle housing...

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're talking about the dust shield that the parking brake components connect to, yeah? I've seen replacements for those being sold, I believe that they came with bolts or some similar way of fastening it to the axle housing...
Exactly, im looking for what kind of rivets/size will fit good if i slip them into the retention hole that faces inward

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly, im looking for what kind of rivets/size will fit good if i slip them into the retention hole that faces inward

I haven't been back there in a number of years... so I don't recall what size the existing fasteners are... have you measured the holes at all? I'd tend to think that something the likes of a 1/4" or 5/16" rivet ought to do. Perhaps even some bolts and locking nuts with low profile heads on them.. that won't interfere with the parking brake components.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill do a write up maybe this weekend for folks with similar issue, need to pick up a rivet gun

Latest posts

Members online