RIP Jeepy 2004-2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rod went through engine. Cant afford to sink more money into this truck even though i loved it n prefer it over a 2010 wrangler. Truck is being sent to a family friend. Thank you guys for all of your help over the past couple years. Ill still be on the forum to see what you guys are doing to your jeeps.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk its definitely likely. This was actually our 2nd liberty. 1st one was gold but it died on the way back from the dealer after we bought. So they gave us the blue truck. Gotta do a better job of keeping the next truck properly maintained. Im gonna buy that user guide i always see in auto zone

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your Jeepy's demise. Fwiw, regular oil changes, and not winding the pee-pee out of the engine could go a long way in aiding longevity.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im gonna buy that user guide i always see in auto zone

That's the first problem. Autozone. If reputable repair shops will not do business with them, that should tell you something right there. If you get your advice from a bunch of knuckleheads, then you're asking for trouble. You suffered engine failure, so lets address that aspect. If you run regular oil in 5w30, you change the oil and filter every 3k miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. That simple. If you run synthetic, you could stretch it to every 5k/5mo. Don't use the house brand junk filters. Wix is what I and a few others use. Anyone care to argue that house brand filters are trash/not trash, simply pick up a wix 1516 filter that fits the v6, and compare it to the cheapo house brand filter. Feel the different in weight, look at the construction of them both. If you get an automatic, then you'll need to find out the service interval for the fluid. It's in the owners manual.

Doesn't matter what you buy, if you don't take care of it, don't expect it to take care of you. In todays age, and with the vast wealth of info on this site, heck all the jeep sites, there is simply no excuse for neglect of the basics of the engine.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the first problem. Autozone. If reputable repair shops will not do business with them, that should tell you something right there. If you get your advice from a bunch of knuckleheads, then you're asking for trouble. You suffered engine failure, so lets address that aspect. If you run regular oil in 5w30, you change the oil and filter every 3k miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. That simple. If you run synthetic, you could stretch it to every 5k/5mo. Don't use the house brand junk filters. Wix is what I and a few others use. Anyone care to argue that house brand filters are trash/not trash, simply pick up a wix 1516 filter that fits the v6, and compare it to the cheapo house brand filter. Feel the different in weight, look at the construction of them both. If you get an automatic, then you'll need to find out the service interval for the fluid. It's in the owners manual.

Doesn't matter what you buy, if you don't take care of it, don't expect it to take care of you. In todays age, and with the vast wealth of info on this site, heck all the jeep sites, there is simply no excuse for neglect of the basics of the engine.

lol i never went to get advice from them. I just go there to pick up simple stuff like a battery, screwdriver or car cleaning supplies. This is the book im talking about.

Jeep Wrangler Repair Manual Covering Jeep Wrangler models 4-cyl and 6-cyl, 2WD and 4WD, for 1987 thru 2011 (Does not include information specific to diesel engine models)

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your Jeepy's demise. Fwiw, regular oil changes, and not winding the pee-pee out of the engine could go a long way in aiding longevity.

i did an oil oil change at the end of november, only put 1500 miles into it before this happened

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't had the Jeep that long then it really is not your fault, its the previous owners fault in general. This is a huge HUGE risk we take when purchasing a pre-owned vehicle. We have no idea what the conditions were like if the owner beat the smack out of it or babied it.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't had the Jeep that long then it really is not your fault, its the previous owners fault in general. This is a huge HUGE risk we take when purchasing a pre-owned vehicle. We have no idea what the conditions were like if the owner beat the smack out of it or babied it.

We have had the car the entire time. We got the gold jeep in 2004 and it died on the way home from the dealer. They gave us the blue one soon after and my mom drove it for 8 years and only put 37k miles on it. She never drove in the snow and was an experienced driver. I got the truck after i got my license and drove it for only 2 years and put in 20k miles

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'd say it's not about winding the piss out of it in general, but winding the piss out of it when the engine's cold is a HELLLL NO.

Also if the engine was broken in for easy driving, hard or "spirited" driving will probably destroy it too, IMO.

Last edited:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have had the car the entire time. We got the gold jeep in 2004 and it died on the way home from the dealer. They gave us the blue one soon after and my mom drove it for 8 years and only put 37k miles on it. She never drove in the snow and was an experienced driver. I got the truck after i got my license and drove it for only 2 years and put in 20k miles

Was regular maintenance followed? Was the Gold Jeep brand new?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say it's not about winding the piss out of it in general, but winding the piss out of it when the engine's cold is a HELLLL NO.

Also if the engine was broken in for easy driving, hard or "spirited" driving will probably destroy it too, IMO.
94k and mine is still alive and it see's redline a lot,also broke it in the right way.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I have the Haynes manual (the Liberty version ;) ) and it is a good one.

You're young, it's a lesson, but if you do a great job maintenance-wise from here on out you will be ahead of a lot of people. I sent a few cars to an early grave as a youngster before I figured out that oil and grease are cheaper than engines and replacement vehicles. :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
94k and mine is still alive and it see's redline a lot,also broke it in the right way.

Yep, 195,000 and mine sees redline at least 2-3 times a week some times more. It was broke in that way from day one. Never hurts them to run them, hurts when you don't take care of them and do the required maintenance.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 103k on the clock and the PO beat the piss out of it before I got it at 60k I knew it would be a risk buying a Jeep in the condition I got it, but a few sensors and maintenance and she has been good to me for the last 40k miles.

With regular maintenance, she sees the redline pretty often and hasn't given any major issues until this week some fuel or emission issues and slightly rough idle after hot. But even with the problems shes still gets me to and from work until I can get her fixed, hopefully this weekend..

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Beating the *iss out of one is different than taking them out and running them. I hate to see people do that to their vehicles, I run mine and run them hard at times but also take care of them. Some folks just don't care and then complain that this or that model is a POS cause they ran it into the ground

offroad cowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beating the *iss out of one is different than taking them out and running them. I hate to see people do that to their vehicles, I run mine and run them hard at times but also take care of them. Some folks just don't care and then complain that this or that model is a POS cause they ran it into the ground

Im the same way i run my rigs hard but i also take care of them accordingly. Beating the pee out of a vehicle is pointless and a waste of money been there done that with my first truck.

sent by telegraph from my k30

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

111k and mine sees redline quite a bit too, and more than often touches 4k RPMs on normal acceleration (gas mileage? Who needs gas mileage!).

Key is, when she's cold, she never (or rarely, if I'm being dumb) sees over 2.5k RPM and even then I still think it's too much. I also try to let her warm up a bit before even driving her.

I don't know how my KJ was broken in but I do have a suspicion she was driven before I got her at 51,200 miles.

Members online