Reverse lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nogoldformarfa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 limited. I had a trailer hitch and harness installed a year ago. Out of the blue my reverse lights do not function. When I say reverse lights I am referring to the very bottom bulb.

I checked the connections and the only weird thing I could find was that the fuse was blown on the wire running from the trailer harness to the battery.

I replaced this fuse but it blows every time I connect it back to the battery. All other lights work so I am a bit confused at this point as to what the issue is.

Its almost like the reverse lights are grounded badly but I would think all of the lights in the tail use the same ground?

Any ideas?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you having this problem with the trailer not connected?

Problem could be at the reverse switch on the transmission.

Pretty much impossible to get wiring diagrams for the 2007 KJ but the 2006 diagrams should be close enough...you can down load the 2006KJ Service Manuals here:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

nogoldformarfa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you having this problem with the trailer not connected?

Problem could be at the reverse switch on the transmission.

Pretty much impossible to get wiring diagrams for the 2007 KJ but the 2006 diagrams should be close enough...you can down load the 2006KJ Service Manuals here:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Thank you for that, it happens without any trailer connected. I actually pulled the battery wire for the trailer harness (which was run underneath the car for some reason) and there are a few areas of exposed wiring there where it was ziptied to the frame. I went through and patched all of these and I am going to hook it back up today to see if that could be part of the issue.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would remove the trailer harness adapter and see if the lights work. Those things caused me issues in the past