Replacement GPS/Audio suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaggy

Reaction score
Hi there,

My wife has an 05 Renegade with the factory GPS system. She's keen to replace it with something more modern, with ipod/bluetooth support, maybe a touch screen, and bigger buttons.

According to Crutchfield, her only option is the Clarion-NZ503. I suspect this may be because their search is limited to units that can control the factory CD changer, which I think was bundled with the GPS. However, if she had a more modern system that could use an ipod, bluetooth audio source/USB stick or SD card that really there's no need to use that old changer (which she never uses anyway). However, I don't know that this is the reason only one stereo is listed as compatible...

So I was wondering if some of you had replaced your factory GPS units, and if so, what with?

Thanks very much!

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
The limiting factor is trying to get a big screen into the single (1.5) Din space :)

That and the older 400 series are pretty much it as far as my search has shown. There are not many (quality) flip out models, probably because double din has become the standard as it accommodates larger screens.

P.S. Welcome :D ... and go 'Nucks!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The limiting factor is trying to get a big screen into the single (1.5) Din space :)

That and the older 400 series are pretty much it as far as my search has shown. There are not many (quality) flip out models, probably because double din has become the standard as it accommodates larger screens.

P.S. Welcome :D ... and go 'Nucks!
I run a Kenwood single DIN flipout and has been nothing but great in the 2.5 years it's been installed.I have the Gramin GPS module and Ipod cable and man you can hook up like 15 different things to the damn thing.

You must be registered for see images attach

SiRRuS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002, I was thinking about going flipout in mine but am wondering about how much airflow is blocked from the air vents?

Here in Australia Queensland you need your aircon on all day every day about 85% of the year.

Also, where did you get the single din cover?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I run a Kenwood single DIN flipout and has been nothing but great in the 2.5 years it's been installed.I have the Gramin GPS module and Ipod cable and man you can hook up like 15 different things to the damn thing.

Sweet... I never found that one in my search! Do they still make it?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the "base model" version,I have the KVT-696 which is the higher end version no longer being made.Pretty much the same basic unit just a few less features.I have the Garmin GPS unit hooked to it,IPod cable, and a back up camera located under the front bumper.

To SiRRuS it does block a bit of airflow but nothing to be concerned about,I just point the vents up and away which directs the flow better to me anyways.I also don't drive all the time with the screen flipped out(can be set to manually open or auto open when you start the engine).

AJMotts

Reaction score
Here is what I did. I did not want a flip up screen to block my vents. I searched and found this guy selling a double din kit...

Jeep Liberty Aftermarket Double DIN Radio Stereo Bezel Installation Dash Kit | eBay

I am not affiliated with this company or know anybody that works there. I just bought the kit. He said it will only fit an 03 and up liberty. I had to do some minor mods behind the dash kit (mostly on the lower left corner of the dash itself not the kit) but it fits and looks great!

SiRRuS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002 - thanks for the info :) I think I will go flip out on mine too, purely because I hate the position of the standard stereo, if I had a gps double din then I would always need to look down like on AJMotts pic rather than just glancing like on yours.

It’s my pet hate in my KJ, It would be so much better if the radio was where the vents were and the vents where the radio.

Any idea where to get the single din bracket so that there are no huge spaces?

Latest posts

Members online