Replaced swing gate micro switch glass latch still won't reset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willowyric

Reaction score
Greetings, I purchased an 02 liberty about a month ago. The rear glass will not latch unless I manually reset the latch. A quick search of this forum told me to test the micro switch, and i did find it was fried. I have replaced it but the rear glass latch still isn't resetting.

I know I could replace the latch, but would rather diagnose the issue correctly before dropping cash on a part that doesn't fix it. I'm guessing next step is to test the connector to the latch reset actuator. The only way I can think to do that is poke through the hot lead with a test light and pull on the handle to get the switch to fire. would love some advise if anyone else has been down this road.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Microswitch energizes a solenoid that releases the glass; Maybe the solenoid is bad? Fuses and relays OK? Any noise at all when you pull the handle or use the key fob? Any wiring damage between the door and the rest of the Jeep?

willowyric

Reaction score
That is where I'm stuck. I don't hear a solenoid actuate. I see where the electrical connectors attach, but don't see a solenoid unless it's part of the latch assembly. I've also looked through the 02 service manual and Chilton, but can't find which fuse powers the latch. I do have power to the lock actuator, wiper, signals and brake lights. I looked through the service manual but the only diagnosis i can find talks about testing the micro switch (pg. 8N-5 and 8N-6). I do have continuity on the new switch.
Can you point me toward the solenoid, or indicate which fuse to check?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to clear up....does the window unlatch ie. open when you use the key remote or gently pull on the gate handle?

Does it close properly when the gate is closed and you push on the window or do you physically have to open the window latching assembly?

willowyric

Reaction score
Glass pops open just fine when I pull the gate open. Pulling the handle till I hear the micro switch click doesn't seem to release the glass. I suppose that could be because the struts are in dire need of replacement. Haven't been able to try the remote as I need to get a battery. I have been manually pressing the glass latch reset actuator to reset it and close the glass.

BillWill; I saw some of your suggestiins in an old post. You listed the pin out for c1 and c2 connector for the bcm. Are c1 and c2 the connector on the back of the bcm?

willowyric

Reaction score
Double checked continuity of the microswitch and all is good there. I got a battery for the remote, ensured everything works when using it. Holding the glass button on the remote pops open the glass and resets the glass latch. At this point it's to be a fuse or a bad connection in door right?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Download the KJ Service Manual for your year KJ from the link renegade 04 and go through the wiring section 8W.

I don't recall that old post of mine but basically the switch in the window assembly is there to let the BCM know that the glass is firmly shut so that the rear wipers can be operated safely. Like wise if the wiper motor is not in its Park position the BCM will not let you open the flip up glass....if glass is not closed you should get a message on the cluster "GLASS".

As stated above...there is a switch on the gate handle...known to give problems...and there is a solenoid inside the glass latch assembly.

Latest posts

Members online