Replace serpentine belt for 3.7l with HD cooling.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tanji

Reaction score
Anyone know how to replace the serpentine belt with HD cooling? I am kinda scared to take off the whole fan just to replace the serpentine belt but I don't know how to. Any help is more than appreciated.

Thank you,
Tanji.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No need to remove the fan. Rotate the tensioner with a socket to clear tensioner. Once you remove it from the tensioner and then from some of the other pulleys, there should be plenty of slack to fit it over the HD fan. You may have to flatten the belt against the rad to slide it out between it and the HD fan and the shroud. Worst case you may have to loosen the shroud but I think mine used to fit. The routing (for reinstall) should be on a sticker under there somewhere.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a closer look at the diagram. Belt doesn't go around the fan, it goes under it. No need to remove it or slip between the fan and radiator. Slip the whole belt (top and bottom) under fan pulley, then onto other pulleys accordingly. Hope I'm making sense.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a closer look at the diagram. Belt doesn't go around the fan, it goes under it. No need to remove it or slip between the fan and radiator. Slip the whole belt (top and bottom) under fan pulley, then onto other pulleys accordingly. Hope I'm making sense.

Yikes! My bad. You are correct! How quickly I forgot. My current 05 doesn't have the HD fan but the routing is the same. Guess I should have looked first.

Tanji

Reaction score

OMG you are so right. Now I feel stupid for asking this

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OMG you are so right. Now I feel stupid for asking this

Don't feel bad, I've had a "what the heck! Am I supposed to remove the fan just to put on a belt!" Moment myself. That's what the forum is here for

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's not too bad to take the fan out, if you still have the OE tensioner it's worth replacing that too. Do it with the engine warm, makes the bolt come loose easier!

Tanji

Reaction score
Just a quick update. I just replaced the belt and so far its been working great. I had help from my dad because the hd fan got in the way of routing the fan from the pulleys at the bottom so I had my dad route the belt around the top pulleys while I routed the belt from the bottom pulleys. All in all it took 20 minutes to do the whole job but it definitely would have taken longer if it was just me. I also want to say thank you for all the help. If I didn't ask you guys before doing this I know I would have taken the whole radiator to do it haha