Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

KJ General Discussion

Replace serpentine belt for 3.7l with HD cooling.

This is a discussion on Replace serpentine belt for 3.7l with HD cooling. within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Anyone know how to replace the serpentine belt with HD cooling? I am kinda scared to take off the whole ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By duderz7
  • 1 Post By duderz7
  • 1 Post By HoosierJeeper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Replace serpentine belt for 3.7l with HD cooling.

Anyone know how to replace the serpentine belt with HD cooling? I am kinda scared to take off the whole fan just to replace the serpentine belt but I don't know how to. Any help is more than appreciated.

Thank you,
Tanji.
Tanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Supporting Member

No need to remove the fan. Rotate the tensioner with a socket to clear tensioner. Once you remove it from the tensioner and then from some of the other pulleys, there should be plenty of slack to fit it over the HD fan. You may have to flatten the belt against the rad to slide it out between it and the HD fan and the shroud. Worst case you may have to loosen the shroud but I think mine used to fit. The routing (for reinstall) should be on a sticker under there somewhere.

"...if it is a Miracle, any sort of evidence will answer, but if it is a Fact, proof is necessary…." Mark Twain

"There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away." -Tool
"To live without Hope is to Cease to live." -Dostoevsky
ltd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Take a closer look at the diagram. Belt doesn't go around the fan, it goes under it. No need to remove it or slip between the fan and radiator. Slip the whole belt (top and bottom) under fan pulley, then onto other pulleys accordingly. Hope I'm making sense.
Damotee likes this.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Originally Posted by duderz7 View Post
Take a closer look at the diagram. Belt doesn't go around the fan, it goes under it. No need to remove it or slip between the fan and radiator. Slip the whole belt (top and bottom) under fan pulley, then onto other pulleys accordingly. Hope I'm making sense.
Yikes! My bad. You are correct! How quickly I forgot. My current 05 doesn't have the HD fan but the routing is the same. Guess I should have looked first.
ltd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by duderz7 View Post
OMG you are so right. Now I feel stupid for asking this 😅
Old 08-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Tanji View Post
OMG you are so right. Now I feel stupid for asking this 😅
Don't feel bad, I've had a "what the heck! Am I supposed to remove the fan just to put on a belt!" Moment myself. That's what the forum is here for
Damotee likes this.
duderz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Gold Supporter/Admin

It's not too bad to take the fan out, if you still have the OE tensioner it's worth replacing that too. Do it with the engine warm, makes the bolt come loose easier!
LibertyTC likes this.
96 XJ Country
It's better to have a winch and need it than to not have a winch and not need it
HoosierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
barongan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just a quick update. I just replaced the belt and so far its been working great. I had help from my dad because the hd fan got in the way of routing the fan from the pulleys at the bottom so I had my dad route the belt around the top pulleys while I routed the belt from the bottom pulleys. All in all it took 20 minutes to do the whole job but it definitely would have taken longer if it was just me. I also want to say thank you for all the help. If I didn't ask you guys before doing this I know I would have taken the whole radiator to do it haha��