Renegade Roof Light Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reeder

Reaction score
Hey Guys:

I just bought a 2002 Liberty Renegade for my daughter. It has the factory roof-lights. I am desperately trying to locate the factory (or alternative) roof-light switch. I'm trying to get it all fixed up for her 16th birthday (she doesn't know about it). I'm trying to have it all ready to go.

Does anyone know where I can find one of those switches? They are discontinued and there are none on ebay, pullnpay, etc.

Thanks guys!

Wayne

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Guys:

I just bought a 2002 Liberty Renegade for my daughter. It has the factory roof-lights. I am desperately trying to locate the factory (or alternative) roof-light switch. I'm trying to get it all fixed up for her 16th birthday (she doesn't know about it). I'm trying to have it all ready to go.

Does anyone know where I can find one of those switches? They are discontinued and there are none on ebay, pullnpay, etc.

Thanks guys!

Wayne

SO IS THE SWITCH BAD OR ??
IF BAD JUST WIRE IN ANOTHER SWITCH
OTRATTW for switches
Lucky girl for sure,
I think I got a hammer and farmers pliers for my 16th

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the only thing that is missing/broken is the switch... you can literally use any switch as a replacement.

Reeder

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. The switch is proprietary. It is a strange size and has the relay built in to it. I thought about finding a cover-plate and wiring in a relay and an aftermarket switch. I'll go this route if I have to. I was hoping to just find the right switch first though.

The switch is "exploded" and some of the parts are missing.

Yeah...I don't even remember what I got for my 16th! ha

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. The switch is proprietary. It is a strange size and has the relay built in to it. I thought about finding a cover-plate and wiring in a relay and an aftermarket switch. I'll go this route if I have to. I was hoping to just find the right switch first though.

The switch is "exploded" and some of the parts are missing.

Yeah...I don't even remember what I got for my 16th! ha

That switch is pretty much like finding a hens tooth now,
I'd just buy new switch and relay and be done
Yep 16th birthday was 47 years ago !
But still have the hammer and pliers !
Used them 2 weeks ago on the farm! :happy175:

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ironic... I have that switch. I found it in a renegade that someone had taken the light bar but forgotten that part... I'll happily trade my switch for your lightbar??:party36:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys:

Thanks guys!

Wayne

SO IS THE SWITCH BAD OR ??
IF BAD JUST WIRE IN ANOTHER SWITCH
OTRATTW for switches
Lucky girl for sure,
I think I got a hammer and farmers pliers for my 16th

The factory switch went bad on my Renegade and like you I couldn't find another one anywhere. I'd been thinking about a switch panel for running lights on the ARB bumper and then for rear-facing roof lights too.

For the factory roof lights you definitely want to wire in a relay - that's a lot of juice to run straight through a switch. A relay came with the driving lights so I just used an OTRATTW switch with custom rocker; the rear roof lights are LED so just ran through a switch. Couldn't find a full aluminum panel anywhere so there opening didn't come out the way I wanted but from the front seat you can't see it anyway.

Here's how it turned out:

You must be registered for see images attach

Bob

Reeder

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Good stuff! I tried the link and unfortunately they told me the switch is discontinued.

Bob. Your install looks great! I may resort to doing something like that.

djtimyd: I'm in Colorado as well (Broomfield) and if you wanted to trade/sell that part, I'd be all-in. As a side-note, I build YJ's on the side...so I don't know if any YJ parts might interest you...

Thanks again guys!

Wayne

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Good stuff! I tried the link and unfortunately they told me the switch is discontinued.

Bob. Your install looks great! I may resort to doing something like that.

djtimyd: I'm in Colorado as well (Broomfield) and if you wanted to trade/sell that part, I'd be all-in. As a side-note, I build YJ's on the side...so I don't know if any YJ parts might interest you...

Thanks again guys!

Wayne

I bought the very first YJ that came off the truck at the local dealer back YEARs ago. No body liked it , what do you mean square headlights ?? :happy175:
Roughest riding Jeep, almost worse than any of the CJs I had LOL
But 2 months later it was better.
But , you build YJs, I build KJs, much more fun IMO

Reeder

Reaction score
Hey Tom. I tend to agree. I like the CJ's and TJ's better (round) but for some strange reason seem to have found a niche with YJ's. Plus, wife has a life long YJ and likes the square lights better. I suppose some of that rubbed off on me.

Initially I was going to build one for my daughter, but as she's grown older, she's lost some of that "tomboy" mentality. So I figure this KJ will be good. Still a tough Jeep. Solid. But a bit more modern and refined.

She's doesn't even know I have it in the shop. I've been working on the exterior and the wife has been doing the interior. It will be "just like new" by Friday night. The big "reveal" will be Saturday. This switch is giving me a heartache though. I know I'll find one at the local pullnpay, but it could be a few months before one shows up. Trying to keep it all clean and original but as a last ditch, I suppose I'll make a switch plate and toggle. Other option is I could leave it and just tell her when I find a switch I'll stick it in there.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried any of the salvage yards up north? That is where I got mine from. I'll be out and about tomorrow and if I happen to go to a yard - I'll take a peak. I have seen several Renegades where people took the lights... so I'll see if there is the switch still there.

I'm In Loveland - not too far north, but far enough that our 'regular" salvage yards dont overlap. Have you tried the Littleton U-Pull yard on south US85? They have some regular turnover, and they list what they put on the yard on their Facebook page daily - sometimes twice daily.

Reeder

Reaction score
Hey djtimyd:

That's a good idea. I'll call those yards this morning. I'm only about 30 minutes from Loveland. I'll also check littleton.

Also...thanks for checking if you happen to be out! I appreciate it!

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No luck at the two near me today. I even broke a socket trying to get tow hooks off... a nice socket too, not Harbor Freight crap. Anderson's - east of Greeley - has a pretty good turnover rate, about 45-60 days. I'll check back with them in a few weeks, but I know that doesn't help you for this weekend.

Any luck on your end?

I'm gonna send you a PM with my cell number in it - so if I find something or vice versa, we can text like its 1998 all over again!

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah... its gonna be a hunt for sure.

One last place to check is Denver U-Pull & Pay. As of tonight they have a 2005 renegade (missing the light bar from the picture of course) but they may have the switch inside. Worth a Check...