Remove heavy duty fan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

captainsam

Reaction score
So my alternator is going bad so I bought a replacement thinking I could easily swap it out. Unfortunately I have the tow package with the heavy duty cooling system on my 06 and it blocks the tensioner you need to actuate to replace the alternator. I've looked all over this forum and everywhere else but I can't find a straightforward explanation on how to get that off. Anybody know of any videos or write ups to get it off?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I replaced my alternator without taking the fan out. Just got to spin it to get a breaker bar on the tensioner bolt. But if you want to remove it, you need a 36mm fan clutch wrench (or if you have an adjustable that's slim enough, mine got hung up). Here's what you do:
1. Put wrench on fan clutch and whack it with a BFH on the driver's side of the wrench to loosen (normal threads, I thought it was left hand threads at one point but it's not)
2. Remove upper radiator support bolts (6 of them, 10mm), pull radiator support thing up a bit
3. Remove the 2 10mm bolts holding the shroud, disconnect efan connector
4. Loosen mech fan all the way and pull it out with the shroud and efan. You'll want to pull it straight up.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you just trying to get the serpentine belt off?

you can do that without removing the HD cooling shroud.

captainsam

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the quick responses! I'll take another whack and replacing it without removing the fan. I had read somewhere that its a necessity

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just keep spinning the fan till you get enough room. It'll work, way easier than taking the fans out.