Rear passenger wheel issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wboyne3

Reaction score
So I had a stuck caliper in the right rear. During that time I removed the e brake. I did notice the dust/splash shield had almost rusted through. Fast forward 8 months, dust shield broke off and got hung up in the rotor and gouged the heck out of the back side. Causing me to feel an awful vibration/grinding noise and when I pulled off the highway smoke from there was visible. I pulled off the tire, removed the shield, but was unable to get new rotor and pads since it was late. Drove a short distance and now I hear God awful clanking and grinding. Is this because of the rotor being gouged and warped? The pads have meat on them but are are uneven wearing. Any help would be great. Jacked up the rear end and without the tires on the ground the sound is not there.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm guessing that's what is. Had a similar thing happen on my XJ.

TomB985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove a short distance and now I hear God awful clanking and grinding. Is this because of the rotor being gouged and warped? The pads have meat on them but are are uneven wearing. Any help would be great. Jacked up the rear end and without the tires on the ground the sound is not there.

That doesn't make sense to me, I've never heard of clanking or grinding being caused by a rotor gouge. Uneven pad wearing for sure, but I don't see how it could clank.

I'm guessing there's something still stuck in there that you couldn't see. Does it happen only when braking, or whenever you're going down the road?

Latest posts

Members online